Stages power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AGW

by AGW

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/stages-cycling-stageone-power-meter-interbike-2012-35270/

At nearly the cost of my bike, I figured I'd never be able to afford (i.e. convince my wife I need) a powertap or SRM. This changes things though... it reviews well and appears to be fairly accurate. Besides not currently working with carbon crank arms, are there any major downfalls I'm missing?
Last edited by AGW on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

AGW

by AGW

Thanks, good reading.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

I live in Australia and am having trouble finding a web site who sells the Stages Power Meter. Anyone know of a shop (online or local) who would send to Australia?

Thank you.

Mik.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

You could order from the US via a forwarding agent such as http://www.myus.com/
Hopefully the new firmware has fixed the cadence change issues dcrainmaker reported, would like to get on for the XC bike.

kbzoo

by kbzoo

Glory Cycles have the Stages powermeter listed on their website. They ship worldwide.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

^ Thanks kbzoo, am awaiting a response from GC to see if they will ship Stages products outside the US. Have contacted other stores who will ship internationally, however they have all said Stages wont allow them to ship their PM's until at least next year.

FYI - my correspondence with Stages confirming this:

"Connor,

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Stages Cycling and our power meter solutions. To maximize the success of the customer experience, we feel it’s important to establish our distributor relationships in international markets prior to shipping units. We will notify you via email when we expand to international markets so that you can be one of the first to order. You are likely looking at late next year at the earliest before our Stages Power Meters can be found in your local shops. I apologize for this inconvenience. Thank you again and we look forward to servicing you in the future.

Regards,

Will Grossman
Sales Manager"
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Mikmik

by Mikmik

I just spoke to some local guys who have bought AND got delivery from Glory Cycles.

It seems that they were sending but changed their minds.....

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

How recently have they stopped sending?
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Mikmik

by Mikmik

Well my email has been responded to and they are sending overseas. I just put an order in.

Kristofferson

by Kristofferson

The Stages PM looks great, but I understand Glory Cycles is not selling them outside the USA.
Can understand a young business wanting to establish itself firmly in one country first. Looks like we'll have to wait until next year for the UK. Stages reply to me: "Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Stages Cycling and our power meter solutions. To maximize the success of the customer experience, we feel it’s important to establish our distributor relationships in international markets prior to shipping units. You are likely looking at next year at the earliest before our Stages Power Meters can be found in your local shops. I apologize for this inconvenience. Thank you again and we look forward to servicing you in the future."

djconnel

by djconnel

If you want to fly to San Francisco/San Jose I saw it for sale @ Palo Alto Bicycles.

baldkingpin

by baldkingpin

Have had SRM's for 6 years. Have run a DA7900 PM with a PC7 for the last couple of years. What can you say about SRM's - they're bombproof and well-engineered, period. That said, super accuracy just isn't that important to me as long as the powermeter is reasonably internally consistent (there's a good youtube vid which runs a Powertap and Stages side-by-side and they're extremely close), so I can use Training Peaks and see my improvement, know how hard I've trained so I know when to recover, etc. It's not rocket science, I don't get into the intense scatter graph analysis, blah, blah. Just the basics for me. I know the #'s may be off from my SRM but I'll start at the end of the season and be able to extrapolate pretty easily, I think.

I like the simplicity of Stages, the fact that it's only 20g, how easy it is to simply switch the non-drive arm from bike to bike (I've got two bikes, both with 9000 cranks). I especially like the fact that Stages would allow me to run the killer 9000 crankset. The fact that it just doubles the non-drive arm doesn't seem to be a big deal for most people and my left/right power and reasonably equal. Finally, it'd be nice to have a cheaper unit and not blow 3k+ every few years when the new SRM comes out and I finally cave.

Am I missing something here? Anyone else think about switching from SRM to Stages?

P.S. I'm not interested in Vector. Even tho' I run Keos, the pricepoint just isn't that far below what I usually manage to pay for SRM's and they've had so many issues I've lost interest. Also, prefer the concept of switching a single crank to pedals. Also, not interested in Quark or Powertap (want to get away from bb and wheel units, get simpler than SRM).

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

guess I'm screwed with a ZED2
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com