Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vwo05

by vwo05

Still waiting on the battery so I can't comment on that yet! I did purchase ultegra levers and I can post side by side pictures. I haven't tried them either but got swayed by dura ace while waiting for parts.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Yes, if you could post side by side pics, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vwo05

by vwo05

Here are the ultegra di2 levers in comparison to the 9070 DA di2 levers. In all pictures, the ultegra is on the left.

As far as mechanical feel, I can't tell a significant difference. Maybe its different if you ride with them but I cannot tell with them off the bike. Can't say either whether one feels more ergonomic over the other.

I can say that the 9070 levers are a bit smaller to wrap around. And they are noticeably lighter. 115 g vs 156 g. The dimpled di2 button is just a bit longer. Other than these differences, I'd say they are very similar.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Thank you very much for posting those.

rrkite99

by rrkite99

Well I have my Di2 9070 out for the first time for all of one mile.( bike was fine, just no time) Shifted great right from the get go. Like the hoods better than 7900 which I have. Setting the chain length was kind of fussy between 52/36 ring and 11-28 cog needed to split difference between too long and too short. Now obviously I have no time on DI 2 but I wonder why they didn't just give simple buttons and forget trying to mimic a shifter. For any one going in to this the old DI2 sprint buttons don't seem to work. If any one has a idea please let me know. I could see having well placed sprint buttons and using them more than the shifters. If it would only stop raining I could get some seat time on my new bike. Alize/ Mad Fiber tub wheels ,all internal DI 2 12 pounds at a Mag test weight and about 14 actually ready to ride.
The Alize headset has been touchy too between too much pre load and than slop. I wonder if this will take a set after some road time.

vwo05

by vwo05

I figured I might as well post the derailleur comparisons between ultegra di2 and DA 9070 di2.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Thanks again for those comparison shots. One thing I can't understand is why none of the media outlets, or Shimano themselves, have provided side by side pics or diagrams to show the comparison. There's been plenty of verbiage about the smaller sizes of the RD and FD and the slightly different hood shape, but I have seen no pics until you posted yours.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Thanks for the visual on these.
adrenaline junkie

James_London

by James_London

Packs wrote:I weighed my WH-9000-C35-TUs today:
Front: 634g
Back: 718g
Skewers: 124g

9070 is very nice, super smooth and solid. I do however get a little noise in the 23 and 25 on my 12-25 cassette. Same issue as mentioned in previous posts - I'm not sure?

I weighed mine too for comparison. Over claimed but they ride really nicely. Bladed spokes are much more side wind prone than 7850 C50 and C24 but you quickly get used to them.

F:626g
R: 734g
Total: 1360g (1260g claimed)
Skewers: 126g

Strangely the rear was almost the same weight as the WH-7850-C24-TU I took off whilst the front C35 was 108g heavier than the C24.

keith

by keith

Those skewers are heavy, my LW ones are only 30g for two!!

I've had 2 short rides on my 9070 and I like it so far. Hoods feel very similar to my old 7800. My cassette is 11-28 and I get a strange noise in the 28. Almost like the front mech is rubbing for half a turn of the pedals. I have the same block on another bike with DA 9000 and there is a similar noise...
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CBJ

by CBJ

Ultegra does not look to bad compared to the new DA. Not sure I am a big fan of the silver on the DA. Any good job on the comparison pictures and additional information.

petal666

by petal666

keith wrote:Those skewers are heavy, my LW ones are only 30g for two!!

They are heavy, but they also work, unlike most of the light skewers. :)

vwo05

by vwo05

Was at the bike shop today and saw some DA 9000 mechanical levers. They are considerably bigger and bulkier around hoods than DA 9070 and even ultegra 6070. I'm assuming that it's because they can't get any smaller for mechanical? That'd be the only reason I would think they made the shapes different.

keith

by keith

I have both and the 9000 are thicker, with 2 different types of rubber in them, they are quite nice to grip and ride with. Just stated with the Di2 and they are much slimmer, it's a shame they aren't the same I guess, but just something to get used to.

Shifting the Di2 with full gloves on can be a bit hit or miss until you get used to it. Without gloves you can feel the junction between the two levers/buttons and it not an issue to press the right one.

With thick gloves on trying to 'press' the buttons isnt easy at all as you cant really feel where they are. An alternative I'm using is to try and roll your hand forwards or backwards to shift, seems to work for me, again after practice!! Eerily silent shifting with no mechanical feedback takes some getting used to too!!
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vwo05

by vwo05

Keith, since you have ride experience with both. Which one do you feel is more ergonomic? Mechanical or Di2?