Sram XX1 - Power measuring options?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robertshepherd

by robertshepherd

tcsbutton, what exactly is that setup?

tcsbutton wrote:Image

I've had a quick word with Mike over at wolftoothcomponents.com about a possible 1x chainring for the 120BCD of the existing Quarq/SRAM S2275 MTB power meter. He'd be keen to know if there is a market for these rings.

If you're interested, send me a PM.

It's tight, but you should be able to get a 36 and up on the 120BCD, then just ditch the inner. The chainring design should allow a slight offset for correct line. I think the goal of an initial production run would be a 36 tooth for MTB, and something around 44-46 for a cyclocross 1x setup.

The current tooth profile for his rings looks like the original expired patent:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

36T for 120mm BCD is absolutely fine, not tight at all. I´ve made 35T for 120BCD, then we are talking about a tight fit.
Experimental Prototype

tcsbutton

by tcsbutton

I think it is a Quarq road bike power meter on xx1 crank arms with a prototype chainring. SRAM posted the picture on their Facebook. It was a pro's setup for the absacape epic

WolfTooth

by WolfTooth

Mattias Hellöre wrote:
knutte18 wrote:
Mattias Hellöre wrote:For MTB Hollowgram series is the only one for me, tranferrable to road, which is a deal winner here.

Ok, good idéa and very nice and light cranks.
I know you disagree, but i still like to try the XX1-concept. Do you know if the XX-spider fits Hollowgram cranks? I guess not...
And second question. Do you think it is possible for you (EP) to create a XX1-spider for Hollowgram cranks? :D

Maybe Cannondale or Sram will create one themselves as for the Specialized cranks. I'm thinking of if/when the World Cup-XC racers like Fontana and Fumic will start to run XX1. I'm sure they will try to keep their nice Hollowgram cranks, if possible.

The XX rings don´t fit any other BCD, they have their own properitary BCD which is something like 76mm with two offset bolt holes as far I know.
I CAN do spiders if there´s enough demand, Hollowgrams is the best aluminum cranks out there, nearest competitor is far behind, a good buy at 500-700 usd for cranks only.

IF and only IF the XX1 front rings work well and no need for chainwatcher, I would recommend them, they have logically spent a lot of time and money in R&D than most of us together.
I have seen the rings in real life, a lot of CNC machining and specific teeths for inner and outer links, maximum chain holding but no chain suck.

They come in a variety of sizes too so spiders for these rings are a good opportunity to widen the use of XX1 rings.
I will get a XX1 crankset to make a spider for it very soon.

So there is interest in wide/narrow teeth chainrings to fit XX? We have some on the way (not posted yet but will be soon), so keep an eye out on our site. For now, we have other options for you folks w/ power meter cranks that you want to continue to use with 1x10 or 1x11 setups:
http://shop.wolftoothcomponents.com/main.sc

devinci

by devinci

check out the Sea Otter coverage, SRM is pulling out a XX1 unit. Saw it on twitter a few hours ago.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

oleaamodt

by oleaamodt

Hey Everybody

in a few weeks I get custon made ​​custom spider to suit quarq so I can use the original XX1 drivetrain.
By interest. send me an email. oleaamodt@hotmail.com

Ole

grover

by grover

You can use a road compact spider on your XX1 (or X7/X9/X0) arms with a custom ring. I got mine made by Fetha components in Melbourne - http://www.fetha.com.au/ - It's a 110 BCD 34tooth, he's also done 36tooth (which can be done ovalised like Rotor rings)

stephenjames

by stephenjames

I think there would be a market for the 120bcd to fit the quarq for sure. I use one and know several other that would like to switch to XX1 but keep with the quarq. A 36t ring combined with the range of the XX1 cassette should be good.

boots2000

by boots2000

I just received my XX1 SRM powermeter.
It is only 74 gram heavier than the XX1 crank it replaced-
Practically weight weenie!

devinci

by devinci

does it have the rechargeable port on the crankset, boots200?

jooo

by jooo

I guess most of the issues in this thread are resolved now that there are quite a few XX1 rings for 104 BCD cranks.

grover's solution using the road spider is also a good one and I'm assuming you could do pretty much the same thing with a whole bunch of cranks, S-Works, SiSL etc.

boots2000

by boots2000

Devinci,
It does not have the port. But it is possible to upgrade to the port later.
I for one would not want the port- Too much chance that it dies mid-ride with a 100 hour battery.
They are GXP only- low Q or wide Q. They take a 104mm ring (raceface) so smallest ring is a 30 tooth.

devinci wrote:does it have the rechargeable port on the crankset, boots200?

si1ver
Shop Owner

by si1ver

boots2000 wrote:I just received my XX1 SRM powermeter.
It is only 74 gram heavier than the XX1 crank it replaced-
Practically weight weenie!

Is it already on sale ? Where can I get it ?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com