Dilemma: Wheel Choice for First Road Race

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I have my first race coming up on the 28th. Here's the course: http://lsu-cycling.co.uk/Junior-RR/?page_id=22

I don't know which wheels to use as it has a steep-ish hill but a 5mile flat too.

The options I have are:

20mm tub
50mm tub
80mm tub
or a combo.

Suggestions? Enlightenment?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

My thoughts would be 50mm assuming there is a significant weight difference between the 50-80mm tub. The 20 is right out due to the 5 mile flat.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

The 50s are generic Chinese jobs at 1423g 24/28 tied and soldered
80s are mavic CC80 at 1750g
The 20s are Chinese at 1040g.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

50 front, 80 rear?

euan

by euan

Are you capable of doing a long solo break? What are you limits? Suck at climbing?

Ultimately it doesn't matter

headwind816

by headwind816

btompkins0112 wrote:I would go 50

+1 - a very versatile set. You can expand (e.g., 24mm for climbing) in time.

gt5504b

by gt5504b

Don't get me wrong, I can't disagree with the comments (or that I don't love this site or am not just a bit jealous) but this is the first thing that popped into my head...

First World Problems.
:)

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Quite the wheel collection for your first race
50mm FTW

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

I'd take the ones which are easiest & cheapest to repair... Your wheels are likely to see some decent pile-ups on the way ...
Last edited by J.v.S. on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russianbear

by russianbear

Race the ones you can replace upon crashing.

davidalone

by davidalone

Thats quite a collection of wheels you have there.

I'd plan your race strategy with your team, THEN plan your wheel and gearing choice.

to be honest, the steep-ish hill isn't really that bad. it's about 10%, which is not really that difficult. BUT seeing as it's the only real 'steep' bit, and you are passing it 5 times, I expect it will be a key selection point. expect to see people attacking it hard on the 3rd and 4th lap to make the field smaller and also, seeing as it is near the finish line, it is most likely going to select the winner. I would expect that a strong punchuer ( someone who rides in the style of a phillipe gilbert, or a joaquim rodriguez) would win this.

are a strong TT rider who's suppsoed to go in a break and force other teams to chase? maybe take the 50 front and 80 rear.
are you an all round domestique who's meant to sit in and protect the leader/chase down breaks? take the most versatile wheelset ( the 50s.)
are you an explosive climber who intends to stick with the main group, hope everything comes together near the finally and blow the race apart on the final hill? maybe take the 20s

although, as most have said, the 50s are probably your best bet, as they are very versatile wheels. I've sucessfully raced a 50mm wheelset (campy bora ultra twos) up a hors categorie ranked mountain ( genting highlands in the tour of langkawi route , if you must know) which was 50km of climbing so they are a reasonable choice. also, if the field is inexperienced, please don't race any expensive wheels, race things you can replace.

In the long run though... I don't think it really matters. I'd pay more attention to gearing choice and knowing what gears you want to use for that final hill sprint would be more important. I'd go with a 52-38/52-39 and a 12-23 setup. ( don't really think you'd need a 25 tooth for a 10% hill, though if you really suck at climbing.....)

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I'm a good climber (65kg helps a lot) and can put in a decent TT. My flat sprint sucks.

My role in the race is domestique at this point, as it's my first race back from a dislocated knee, I'm not aiming for a win, I'd be happy with finishing, last year 30 finished from 80 odd starters. We have a team of 3, one with a good chance of placing well.

This race will be hard, we have no support for the 60 miles so will be packing lots of food and water.

I think I'll ride the 50s.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I only have once crankset and cassette combo - 50/34 X 12-25....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

then I'd try to find some 52-36 chainings for your crank, at least. you don't need a 50-34 front 12-25 rear for such a course. IMO 52-36 12-25 is the most versatile gearing combo you can ever have.

if you could, try to borrow a cassette. lots of people have spare cassettes around.

nutrition wise I don't really think you'd need more than 2 big bottles on the bike ( 2x 750ml ) unless it's a blazing hot day and maybe 3 gels, 4 if you're afraid. then you wouldn't actually need support.