Difference between Vittoria Corsa CX III and Corsa Evo CX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mgordon

by mgordon

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the Vittoria "Corsa CX III" and the "Corsa Evo CX" is?

I was placing an order and was expecting to by the latter - but I saw the former was a few dollars more expensive, so I figured, hey - it must be better.

I received the tires today and they don't have the red removable valve stem I'm used to seeing on Vittoria - and I thought that this was a feature on all their 320 TPI tires - and these do say 320 TPI on them.

Aside from that, I can't seem to find any information to indicate what the difference is... Any ideas?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Vittoria has dropped the name "evo" from their 2013 line-up. You can also see that new tires have Isogrip rubber compound.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

mgordon

by mgordon

Thanks! What about the red removable valve stems - do you know anything about why these don't have those? I was thinking I must have some new old stock, from before they came out with them.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

You got yourself a couple of tyres that were not meant for commercial sale. Probably some OEM for god knows who.
None of them are older than a couple of years so stop worrying and wear the hell out of them, they're all fine tyres.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mgordon

by mgordon

interesting... for what it's worth, I just got them straight from QBP.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

I saw this iten at totalcycling,and was eondering if thr diferent compound make any diference.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

sawyer

by sawyer

atakaoka wrote:I saw this iten at totalcycling,and was eondering if thr diferent compound make any diference.

SCs also have Isogrip, and it's ... grippier. Better in wet (not hard)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

mgordon wrote:interesting... for what it's worth, I just got them straight from QBP.

I wasn't saying they're old either. :)
The one in the background is the same as CX II from 2010 with the less grippy compound on wet surfaces.
The other one is probably from 2013 but exactly what version it is I can't tell. It does however come with the redesigned compound.
No idea whatsoever why they (both ?) don't come with the red stem though.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mca56

by mca56

Just got a set of the new 23mm tires from PBK. I can confirm that the red removable valve stem has been replaced by a conventional fixed valve stem with removable core. (Good). The new Isogrip tread compound is FAR better on wet roads than the old Kevlar compound. (Good). I've previously tried the Isogrip compound on SCs. The tires weigh in at 249/255 grams. (Not so good). My old Corsa CX 320s weighed 235 grams. .

Overall, a significant improvement over the previous version. In my opinion the old Kevlar compound was dangerous in the wet. Hopefully these will be an acceptable, less expensive alternative to Veloflex Carbons.

headwind816

by headwind816

I am bumping this thread to help me understand the differences between Corsa models.

What is the difference between the CX, SC, and SR please? I want a tire that can handle dry and wet conditions (example - my last crit had an isolated shower over 1/2 of course for 20min of 50min racing) plus be durable/puncture/cut resistant (yes, I am asking a lot; I know not a single tire is perfect).

James_London

by James_London

In line with others, I'd definitely take the SCs ahead of the CXs for wet grip. Haven't got my hands on a pair of SRs yet to have an opinion.

mauiguy

by mauiguy

watch out in the wet the Evo corsa cx has numerous reports of poor grip in the wet, I was running the tubular version and hit a wet spot during a turn, I now have a 14" titanium rod in my femur. They let go with no warning....

JWTS

by JWTS

I'm using the Corsa Evo Slick, both tubular and clincher, and they're awesome; much better grip in the rain that the Evo CX, which is a big deal for me since I'm racing in the rain a lot. Despite the name, they're a great wet weather tire. I have 2 of the new Corsa SL tubulars, but it will be a while before I get to them. They seem similar to the Evo Slick, though they claim that the compound is different.

The Evo Slick seems to be a much better tire all the way around compared to the CX, better grip wet and dry and more cut-resistance. I'm hopeful that the new SL will be as good.

headwind816

by headwind816

@mauiguy - I hope you have adapted post-wreck. I have heard many of the same stories. I may opt for "less plush" and more "sureness" via other manufacturers.

@JWTS - thanks for the new option :thumbup:

nayr497

by nayr497

Has anyone done a direct comparison (same wheelset, same bike) on the same Vittoria Corsa tyres in different sizes? I typically ride on 23mm tires but a lot of folks are riding/trying 25 mms. I'm wondering if I should give it a shot or if it's just something new to get me thinking about trying something...new.

I'm 64kgs, ride on decent roads, but some are chip 'n' seal (a bit rough).

I have had a pair of Vittoria Evo Corsa CXs 23mm on some Record hubs/OP rim wheels for awhile and paired with latex tubes the ride quality is excellent. They've also lasted a long darn time but I want to pick up some replacements.

I have some Veloflex Paves and Masters on others bikes. They don't seem to be as nice of a ride as the Vittorias, but never done a straight-up comparison on same bike/wheels so can't truly compare.

I'm wondering if 25mms would be a nice or if it would be overkill/not needed.

Also seems as if the SC is very similar to the CXs but just better in wet conditions?
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com