What comes first these days frame or components ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

astranoc

by astranoc

What are you arguing about? That the wheels and the tyres make the ride or about the "A pound off the wheels is worth 2 off the frame"?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

Brobuddies. A bicycle is a system of irreducible components. Sacrificing in one area or another will always lead to a lesser system. Skimp where it makes sense to you and don't worry so much about each year's new trends. The bicycle industry had a "problem." Bikes weren't disposable. They lasted when maintained. Every piece could be purchased, fixed, replaced. Companies abhor this because it reduces their lifetime profits. Of course the bicycle industry, like every other industry, is moving towards tighter planned obsolesence and putting the consumer on little hamster wheels of consumerism. If you want to be stuck inside the round metal cage spending your moneyf or everything new, then by all means do so but stop fretting over where it's most economical to spend your money. If you don't want to be in there, then stop running, step out side-ways, and accept that the 11th cog won't make you faster and that the hydraulic brakes won't do shit for you except make a mess of your floor and electric shifting will just nag you to charge it. If you're worried about spending money, just stop, and enjoy your bike as it is. If you want the latest and greatest, just stop worrying about spending money and accept it's a consequence of your desires.

delonaBianchi

by delonaBianchi

Frame, enough said.

DMF

by DMF

dvincere, very well put, and just what needs to be said more often these days! could not agree more! :)

ichobi

by ichobi

My priorities are frame and wheels and perhaps saddle and nice tires. If the bike fits, The rest are, personally, of marginal benefit. I could run cheap stem and bars and 105/rival groups that would be suffice for a nice ride. But then again, i dont have means to chase the latest and greatest.

Arky

by Arky

105, Athena, or rival would never hold you back. I'd go rival, used caad10, then blow the rest on wheels.

ticou

by ticou

Frame fitment comes first .And 2nd, and 3rd. That's how quaint steel keeps up with the carbons.

airwise

by airwise

For me it's fitment, contact points, then wheels.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Isn't it just the right balance of quality between wheels, frame, group?

Less important (but still) saddle (personal fit!), steering, pedals.

Balance it out and it will always be better than a state of art frame with cheapo wheels or other way around....
Dont just go for the name on the frame and screw your system up with low quality gear just because the name is "prominent"...

Pascal
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition