Nutrition energy drinks etc

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Arky

by Arky

Threads like this tend to show a lack of understanding regarding fructose. Agave and sugar have excessive fructose. Your body cannot process fructose as fast as glucose. These use two independent paths, which can are independently maximized. Additionally, they are too sweet, causing you to water it down or crave plain water deep into your ride. Fructose build in your gut may also give you this water craving.

These sweeteners work good paired about 1:1 with dextrose, which can often be found at a brewer supply. A half dextrose/half sugar combo will give you a glucose to fructose ratio of about 3:1. Dextrose is sweet in itself, so you may want to consider substituting some dextrose with low-sweetness maltodextrin. (hint: md and dext are both pure glucose, just with different particle sizes. Maltodextrin is a larger particle size/chain, which reduces sweetness. Different grades of particle sizes exist for maltodextrin, creating grades of sweetness and osmolality, which affects absorb rate--- this chain size/osmolality issue is debatable due to lack of certainty about how long it survives in the gut.)

The drink manufacturers really have us. Most of the material cost is in maltodextrin and standard sugar, which is less than $1 per pound. I suspect that marketing cost far exceeds that. Lim chose good packaging, stand-up pouches are dirt cheap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frolic

by frolic

Which nutrients are present in energy drinks to make us energetic? Tell me the ingredients used in it.
Green energy drinks

markspend01

by markspend01

Hey Guys well i think that Monster is one of the most well-known power beverages, especially among the sportsmen and others.It is a lemon or lime power consume that comes in the 16 oz.Thanks!!

djconnel

by djconnel

For double centuries, I've had great success with the Hammer products: Heed or Perpetuum or Sustained Energy alternating with water and supplemented with regular consumption of Endurolytes. On morning commutes (72 km), though, nothing beats black tea + honey or maple syrup (actual maple syrup, as if I should need to mention that).

For races, gels + water is fine, maybe with some Endurolytes if it's hot.

Razor

by Razor

Arky wrote:Threads like this tend to show a lack of understanding regarding fructose. Agave and sugar have excessive fructose. Your body cannot process fructose as fast as glucose. These use two independent paths, which can are independently maximized. Additionally, they are too sweet, causing you to water it down or crave plain water deep into your ride. Fructose build in your gut may also give you this water craving.

These sweeteners work good paired about 1:1 with dextrose, which can often be found at a brewer supply. A half dextrose/half sugar combo will give you a glucose to fructose ratio of about 3:1. Dextrose is sweet in itself, so you may want to consider substituting some dextrose with low-sweetness maltodextrin. (hint: md and dext are both pure glucose, just with different particle sizes. Maltodextrin is a larger particle size/chain, which reduces sweetness. Different grades of particle sizes exist for maltodextrin, creating grades of sweetness and osmolality, which affects absorb rate--- this chain size/osmolality issue is debatable due to lack of certainty about how long it survives in the gut.)

The drink manufacturers really have us. Most of the material cost is in maltodextrin and standard sugar, which is less than $1 per pound. I suspect that marketing cost far exceeds that. Lim chose good packaging, stand-up pouches are dirt cheap.

I get a 75lb bag of (flavorless) Maltodextrin from a local brewery. I mix it in my bottle with water (flavored with decaffeinated green tea), then add some fruit juice for a little flavor. Works really well on rides over 60 miles, no cramping and no hunger pangs. The bag last over a year, I think it is a cheaper alternative (and as effective) as any sports drink I've tried (Cytomax, Ultra Fuel, etc.).

TashkentTerror

by TashkentTerror

I use one bottle of water and one bottle with High 5 isotonic sports drink on most of my training rides.
Before I drank only water but sometimes when eating a banana or energy bar i got a bloated feeling. Kind of like the food wouldent go down.
I find that does not happen when i drink some kind of sportsdrink.
Anybody have the same experience?

slowrider

by slowrider

I usually dont drink anything when doing short stuff (1-2h). Body is very good at preserving water and electrolites. Most sport drink science is terrible.
I supplement with magnesium citrate before bed, its propably the most imporant mineral that you cant get enough from food. Body stores alot of electrolytes when you have enough of them in diet. You loose about 600x more sodium than magnesium when you are sweating. Sometimes body sacrifices potassium to maintain sodium-potassium in tight ratio.

I just take some coconut oil and BCAAs when i go to ride. In ketosis. After that i replesh muscle glycogen with sweet potatoes and some beets, and some berries for liver glycogen. I dont need more than 100-150 grams per day. Most of the energy comes from my fat tissues :)
Any processed sugar without fiber is inflammatory, fructose is the worst. Fructose is good at repleshing liver glycogen, and you dont need it much, mostly few apples worth.
So better eat pure starch like white rice, sweet potatoes and white potatoes and fruits/berries.
Last edited by slowrider on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

TashkentTerror wrote:I use one bottle of water and one bottle with High 5 isotonic sports drink on most of my training rides.
Before I drank only water but sometimes when eating a banana or energy bar i got a bloated feeling. Kind of like the food wouldent go down.
I find that does not happen when i drink some kind of sportsdrink.
Anybody have the same experience?

I do this as well. 1 bottle of High5 Isotonic and 1 bottle of water.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

johnnyha

by johnnyha

I highly recommend http://monstersupplements.com/store/p/7 ... :-1kg.html

3 Carb sources, BCAAs and L-Glutamine. Excellent in my experience.

eric

by eric

I used Skratch Labs secret drink mix plus real food (mostly home made brown rice muffins modified from Lim's book) in the recent Death Ride. I did it in 9 hours over all (8':12 ride time) which is the best I have done by about 5 minutes.

It all worked very well for once although I was getting sick of rice muffins after the fifth one.
I also ate a few bagel bits, half a cheese sandwich (an experiment, it wasn't so tasty after 5 hours) and 2/3 of an ice cream at the top of the last pass.