SRAM 11 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller76

by Miller76

Mmmmmmm, I like!!

zambony

by zambony

I like... but the force 22 crank.
+100g over the previous generation:(

also, about QUARQ: they now offer RED yaw 22 and S975. is there only the riken & elsa for 10 speed (newer gen?) I wonder if the yaw 10 speed will be compatible with 11s...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

What rear hub specs are they using? Shimano 11sp or XX?

petal666

by petal666

Shimano.

duz10s

by duz10s

you would be spewing if you just went out and bought the new 10 speed Red
2015 RCA with Di2

jsinclair

by jsinclair

if only they would release a hydraulic road lever for single speed use ie. no shifter internals, just master cylinder. it would probably fit inside a regular shifter shape as well.

VNTech

by VNTech

From the horse's mouth:

SRAM debuted its 2012 Red just a year ago, and many riders are likely fuming right now, having just bought new kit only to have it replaced.

When asked why the brand went with such a quick turnaround, road product manager Charles Becker stated simply that the market wasn’t ready for 11-speed at the time, mostly because all the auxiliary products (freehubs, wheels, etc.) were not yet ready.

“The market at the time wasn’t ready for us to go 11,” Becker said. “Now it’s ready. Back then I didn’t know it was going to be 11 months. It’s not just a group; you need to have all the necessary auxiliary products. Now that Shimano and us are following the same path, we have the same requirements in spacing and alignment, it made sense for us to have an industry standard that has compatibility.

“One reason why we didn’t do a complete graphics redesign is because the 10-speed is still valid, and while many things change, the major technologies are the same. … I’ll continue to ride my 10-speed bike for a while. When you are at the bleeding edge of technology, you have to expect new things. We’re not going to prematurely make the product [10-speed] obsolete.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/bikes-and-tech/sram-unveils-true-22-11-speed-drivetrains-hydraulic-brakes_282149

Not a great answer, but an answer. I think they intended to have hydro ready for the launch last year, couldn't make it. Hand was forced with 11.

Great to meet Charles this weekend, first time we've hit a trip together. Lively convo at dinner, too :) Turns out we both think Armstrong is an asshole.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

Rush

by Rush

Are you comparing GXP with GXP?

Looks like you are right. The new crank has an alloy spider. I presume it will be stiffer than the current crank.

milroy

by milroy

By "not yet ready" Mr Becker meant - "Being the leach that SRAM is we couldn’t release an 11 speed until we knew what Shimano were doing. Now we know the spacing and alignment of Shimano 11 speed, we can follow their path, copy their standard and cannibalise some sales."

Just kidding.

dynaserve

by dynaserve

But you're not kidding

jmilliron

by jmilliron

milroy wrote:Just kidding.

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

airwise

by airwise

djconnel wrote:The hydrolic is nice but certainly not "weight weenie". Not to stray off topic....

Would be interesting to see a 1x 11 offering for weight weenies. Are we not getting to the point where the FD is superfluous for many?

Rush

by Rush

duz10s wrote:you would be spewing if you just went out and bought the new 10 speed Red

I just got my new 'zero loss' Force shifters last night :D

I'm not spewing that much though, 11 speed seems a bit of a headache at the moment in terms of wheel compatibility etc.

morrisond

by morrisond

airwise wrote:
djconnel wrote:The hydrolic is nice but certainly not "weight weenie". Not to stray off topic....

Would be interesting to see a 1x 11 offering for weight weenies. Are we not getting to the point where the FD is superfluous for many?

With a Wi-Fli RD and an 48 tooth Front and 11-32 cassette you effectively have 53-36 12-25 which should be more than enough for anyone.

However it would be neat to have a 10-36 Rear cassette which could effectively give you absolutely silly range - More like 12-30 on a 44 tooth Front.

Are XX1 indexing and SRAM 11sp indexing the same? Will a XX1 RD work with new SRAM 11sp?

There are lots of options for XX1 Rear Disc hubs.
Last edited by morrisond on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I think you're asking about XX1's spacing, not XX.

XX is currently 10spd
XX1 is 11spd (rear, for 1x11 setups)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com