Quality, super lightweight cassettes. Where?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Looking for a 11-27 and or 11-28 Shimano Cassette. Something in Ti that will last a bit longer than a full alloy one (which I have). And something REALLY light.

Saw an Oarsm on on eBay that looked good (light, Ti, etc) but didn't win it and now can't find a place to buy one. Recon/KCNC cassettes look good but heavier than what I'm after.

Any recommendations on what to buy and where from?

Thanks in advance.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

atakaoka

by atakaoka

try recon cassetes.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Did I not say in my post that Recon wasn't what I'm after?

atakaoka

by atakaoka

sorry.
didn`t see.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

It's OK. They are on my list. Just looking for other lighter-weight options. Durability an issue.

If they turn out to be the best option - so be it!

DamoRider

by DamoRider

I don't have all the specifics but you could try a Ceradure cassette- the company makes beautiful ceramic cassettes for racing that weight around 84 grams. I know they cost a bundle . I think you can order directly from their website.

djconnel

by djconnel

For me the optimal solution is Recon Al, then only use them when I need light weight. If 1 second per 20 minutes of climbing or whatever isn't going to make a difference, which is almost all the time, I stick with something heavier and more durable. Seems silly to spend too much on parts which wear out so relatively fast for rides where the marginal gain is small.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

djconnel wrote:For me the optimal solution is Recon Al, then only use them when I need light weight. If 1 second per 20 minutes of climbing or whatever isn't going to make a difference, which is almost all the time, I stick with something heavier and more durable. Seems silly to spend too much on parts which wear out so relatively fast for rides where the marginal gain is small.

I agree to a point.

Which is why I want a Ti cassette that is still light. Best of both worlds! I have an alloy cassette on my TT bike - I just don't know how long it will last. And am doing a big climbing event this summer but need something that will last more than 500 miles.

I suppose a few grams won't make a difference and could just stick with the SRAM red stuff but looking for advice if anyone has good suggestions!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Recon are mostly alloy. Plus, their performance is 50/50 to get them working correctly. Mmachning and tolerances for cassettes are critical, Recon hasnt got it down too well.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

If you're also concerned with durability, consider the Sram Red cassettes. They're made from milled steel, which makes them durable as hell, and the milling process makes them lighter than most Ti cassettes out there. The 2012 cassette also has some sound dampening rubber rings you can take out for a little less weight if you don't mind the sound of a big hollow steel amplifier for your chain.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

sigismond0 wrote:If you're also concerned with durability, consider the Sram Red cassettes. They're made from milled steel, which makes them durable as hell, and the milling process makes them lighter than most Ti cassettes out there. The 2012 cassette also has some sound dampening rubber rings you can take out for a little less weight if you don't mind the sound of a big hollow steel amplifier for your chain.

SRAM are my everyday cassettes. Only problem is... they only do 11-26 and 11-28.

My TT bike can't take 11-28 and 11-26 may be slightly too small for what I want it for. But I have both ratios in the 2013 Red.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 113245

Personally, I'm waiting for that nanovate coating to be applied to some superlight carbon cogs...