Eddy EMX-7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fifarafa

by fifarafa

I'm thinking about buying EMX-7, but I have some doubts... I know that Quickstep had some problems with 7...
Has anyone ridden on this frame? Is this a good choice?

Devon

by Devon

I've ridden a few Merckx test bikes and found them to be fairly solid with a good feel. What's your specific budget?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fifarafa

by fifarafa

about 3500 EUR for frame...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

You can get them for a ton cheaper than that these days....
http://www.slanecycles.com/eddy-merckx- ... 23730.html

There's a couple of shops in the UK with them. Personally, I love the Quickstep paint job. Didn't hear of any problems personally. Merckx's tend to be quick long wheelbase, stable beasts. Don't expect anything nimble. If you like to bowl the bunch over though, it might just be your ride :thumbup:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

+1 on the Quickstep paint job!

fifarafa

by fifarafa

ultyguy wrote:You can get them for a ton cheaper than that these days....
http://www.slanecycles.com/eddy-merckx- ... 23730.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a couple of shops in the UK with them. Personally, I love the Quickstep paint job. Didn't hear of any problems personally. Merckx's tend to be quick long wheelbase, stable beasts. Don't expect anything nimble. If you like to bowl the bunch over though, it might just be your ride :thumbup:

Do you mean general lack of stiffness (acceleration) or long wheebase (corners)?
Previously I rode Canyon SLX, so it wasn't Chrysler Voyager...rather. I'm not looking for noodles...

So better choice will be Cipo RB800? What do you think?

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Marcel Wüst review

http://www.eddymerckx.be/storage/eddyme ... ngEMX7.pdf

after reading other reviews of Marcel I didn't know whether to believe it...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I have owned an EMX-5 who's geometry is very close to the EMX-7, I have also owned the Canyon. They are very different bikes if you ask me. The Merckx is every bit as stiff as the Canyon, but more solid in feel. Also the Merckx isn't as jump as the Canyon (longer wheelbase and chainstays), but at the same time is also much more stable in handling than the Canyon. I found the Canyon a bit too 'whispy' and prefer the Merckx even though it's a few hundred grams heavier. Fwiw I'm 77kgs and 180cm so more of a bigger guy anyways.

Cipo could be nice too, have no clue on that one, but the headtubes are too tiny for my long legs in any case.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

1. In my size Canyon was 410 chainstay just as EMX-7
2. previous SLX version was threaded version BB ( now press fit ) - EMX-7 has BB86, so in theory Eddy should be stiffer
3. I'm not a fan of anorexics...so I considered ...steel frame (greatest advantage for me that is repairable)...ver very interesting Condor Super Acciaio...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Hehe I'm in line for the new, lighter super acciaio when they come up in the autumn thru a connection. Sick of breaking carbon frames. Brilliant minds think alike!

My Merckx rode less like a carbon bike than any other carbon bike I've been on if that makes any sense.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

I spoke with Seb from Condor, and he told me that difference in the weight will be small...
If I understood.... you broke EMX-5?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Stress crack in headtube, no carbon frame is very durable in my eyes.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

I wonder why Condor's warranty is only 3 years...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

No warranty will cover you fast enough when you're standing by the side of the road with a splintered frame while the bunch rides off into the sunset ;-)
Edit-spelling

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com