SRAM 11 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

All I know is I use the 11-tooth maybe 5% of the time, but use the 18-tooth ALL THE TIME!

It's annoying that they couldn't incorporate the 18-tooth cog into any of their cassettes. I understand they wanted to keep costs down by making the 11-17 portions compatible between all cassettes, but at least offer one range with an 18-tooth cog. Oh well, my $300 cassette money will go to Shimano, I guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bicicleta

by bicicleta

Is the new Force 22 crank just a different version of their S9XX whatever number series crank?

That looks hella heavy; well at least they say the new chainrings are compatible with the 10 speed Red crank. Can't wait for this stuff to be out so people test what really is compatible and hope current Praxis rings will work with these new parts.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It doesn't look like they changed any BCD design on the cranks so Praxis rings should function as they do now. Though they are not technically compatible (per Praxis)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

sounds like w-w needs some bigger legs. i for one can't wait for the 11-21 11spd straight block

bicicleta

by bicicleta

Imaking20 wrote:It doesn't look like they changed any BCD design on the cranks so Praxis rings should function as they do now. Though they are not technically compatible (per Praxis)

You are quite correct, I just wonder because sram uses a narrower chain now and Praxis doesn't even recommend running a sram chain with their current rings in 10 speed. So they might have to go back to the drawing board if they want to have Praxis rings for SRAM 22. Then again for all we know the Dura ace CN-9000 chain will work with sram 22 and Praxis.

djconnel

by djconnel

Pez report here. (Nice work, Charles!)

Issue on things like chainring compatibility is sometimes specs are because things don't work and sometimes is because they'll work microscopically less well.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

CarlesM's Pez article on SRAM Red 22 wrote:The HRR (rim brake) set weighs a combined 387 grams for lever, caliper and hosing (per wheel). The HRD (disc) set is 449 for lever, caliper, hosing and disc (per wheel).

The comparable Red 22 cable actuated brake set will weigh roughly 295 grams per wheel (lever, caliper, cables).
Ah, but leaving aside necessary differences in the rest of the bike, isn't the weight difference between cable and hydro even greater, as the above weights do not include the weight of the fluid? How much would that be?

refthimos

by refthimos

prendrefeu wrote:@geedawg

Hydraulic shifting/braking:
-Super durable, virtually no maintenance. Probably less maintenance than electronic, actually! You'll only need to bleed the system once per year, which is a quick procedure.

I had a set of early Magura HS-22 MTB rim brakes that I rode on a Slingshot frame - built up in the early 90's. Recently sold the frameset with the Maguras (the frameset was now "vintage" and the brakes were fine - worked great).

Granted, the bike had been hanging in the garage for years, but the (relative) lack of maintenance is unbelievable.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

spartan

by spartan

excellent job on red 22 BUT

"It’s worth mention though that just last year, SRAM launched Red 2012 and brought with it a LOAD of changes to the entire group. While the lever shape, cable actuated brakes, cassette and rear mech all improved, it was the front end shifting that stood out as the biggest advance. I think SRAM went from last to first in front mech operation and “Yaw” at the front end laid the ground work for SRAM’s 22 best Shimano and Campy in at least one respect…SRAM call it “True 22”, and it’s the ability to use all gear combinations without chain rub or any needed trim."

:roll: please please go review a dura-ace9000/9070 or campy eps.

djconnel wrote:Pez report here. (Nice work, Charles!)

Issue on things like chainring compatibility is sometimes specs are because things don't work and sometimes is because they'll work microscopically less well.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Imaking20

by Imaking20

bicicleta wrote:
Imaking20 wrote:It doesn't look like they changed any BCD design on the cranks so Praxis rings should function as they do now. Though they are not technically compatible (per Praxis)

You are quite correct, I just wonder because sram uses a narrower chain now and Praxis doesn't even recommend running a sram chain with their current rings in 10 speed. So they might have to go back to the drawing board if they want to have Praxis rings for SRAM 22. Then again for all we know the Dura ace CN-9000 chain will work with sram 22 and Praxis.

Understood. At the time I posted this I hadn't read the bit about the narrower chain yet. My apologies; I retract my confident statement.

petal666

by petal666

Hurry up Ultegra 11 so I can buy 'cheap' 12 cog cassettes.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Really like that there is the 10sp option for those that want discs but can't afford the change to 11sp at this stage.

Given my frame has full internal routing of the hyd lines, will need to look at installation closely

Devon

by Devon

Very excited for the Force 22. Have they released a date that they will go on sale?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

The hydrolic is nice but certainly not "weight weenie". Not to stray off topic....