£600 - anything I can get that is lighter than this...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Ambrosio F20 28 hole
American Classic Micro 58/205 hubs
DT Revolution spokes
Vittoria Crono EVO CS tubulars
Carbon-Ti X-lock Speciale skewer

I think that builds up to c.1630g including tyres and skewers. It is possible to do lighter less than £600? (Actually I think this lot might end up closer to £650).

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Some food for thought:

Planet X tubular rims @ 250g?
Titanium spokes?

these options will cost more than the ones you've mentioned though... Although the PX rims should be stiffer than the F20s, so you could be able to get away with a few less spokes. I haven't done the calculations, but I have a feeling that BHS hubs and PX rims with Ti spokes will also work out to around 600 pounds and be lighter/similar weight
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Thanks - very interesting. Wasn't aware of BHS but that's a value alternative to AM Classic.

PX rims only available in 20 hole for now. Might be too little for the rear? Though I would go with CX-Rays rather than Ti. In 20 spoke that would appear to build up to around 1000g (exlc tyres and skewers) vs 1250 for the Ambrosio.

Must do a search on those PX rims and see if people are happy with them.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Well a quick google search suggests people seem generally happy with the PX rim / BHS hub combo

I weigh 74kg and am not a sprinter - could I safely build up 20 hole PX rims with DT Revolution spokes?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

20 rear might be pushing it. 74kg is not flyweight (by cycling standards, i have the same). Personally I'd probably go 28 rear for a shallow tub, but then again I don't like the concept of raceday-only gear. A few spokes don't weigh shit, and make such a difference.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

No I am certainly not flyweight. I am a typically just-ever-so-slightly-too-pudgy 40 something pencil pusher.

Not sure if PX are getting the 24 hole back in, so I think it's back to the Ambrosio F20 plan. BHS hubs are possibly a bit of a find though in terms of making a light but value wheelset.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

On another note, has anyone used these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-light-4 ... 3f0f2e8420

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Plenty of people use those skewers. They are available from many sellers and resources.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

yz387

by yz387

I build up a set of the PX 20mm rims on BHS hubs about a year ago. I had CX in mind, so mine are 24 hole both front and rear. I have been happy with them. I did manage to crack one of the rims in a CX race last fall, but to be fair, i hit a big, square edge hole very hard. When I did it, I thought I was going to crack both rims, but only the rear was damaged. The only downside to the build is that with the shallow rim and the narrow drive side flange of the rear hub, it is tough to get a good tension ratio between the DS and NDS spokes. This can be delt with by choosing the correct lacing patterns though.

Overall, it is a nice wheelset for the money, and at 1050 grams, they are a ton of fun to ride!

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Anyone happen to have a spare PX 24 hole rim then...?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

mattjevans wrote:so I think it's back to the Ambrosio F20 plan.

I have some Velocity Escapes in 24, 28 laying about if you are interested.
formerly rruff...

mattjevans

by mattjevans

thanks but am in the UK, not worth the shipping costs on something like that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com