Continental Revo tyre sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Anybody have experience of this stuff? Tips for using, quantity etc? Tubs or clincher use?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

Hi,

I've been using Revo in my Gatorskin Sprinter 25mm tubulars for the past week. I puncture flatted the front on a piece of glass, verified the tubular tire quantity with Conti, then injected 60ml through the valve with the core removed. After some swishing/spinning and a few minutes to let the hardened plug solidify, the tire was able to hold pressure up to the rated max. Today, I rode 120km on the repaired tire with no issues.

Moreover, since one tire already had been compromised, I took the opportunity to install Revo in the rear as well. Now, I just carry my one spare pre-glued tube rather than a Caffelatex supply and valve core tool. Any damage that can overwhelm the sealant probably means a shredded tire, and a tubular change is in order.

Conti says a single application should last 6 months in this type of thick butyl tube, 3-4 in a thinner latex tubed tire. Significantly, they said the latex in the sealant (it has *does* contain latex/synthetic latex, but not ammonia) won't conjoin the opposing walls of your latex tube if the tire deflates over time and the tube walls collapse onto each other. That's kinda important. Also important: you can mix this in the same tube as Caffelatex but not with Stans. Apparently, this combo will create an instant solid object inside your tire.

To date, I have not experienced a rolling puncture while the Revo is in the tires, so its actual performance relative to something like Stans - which sometimes seals your puncture before you can stop the bike - is unknown. Still, I feel better with the Revo knowing it's not slowly eating its way through my inner tube.

The Revo bottle comes with 240ml, features a transparent vertical slit with a scale graduated in milliliters, and uses a spout that tapers specifically to a size suitable for a presta stem with the core removed. It's very user friendly in the shop, but it would be nice to have a smaller bottle for field installation (since not every rider will want to install sealant in top-end tubulars unless faced with a flat and no alternative). Before my puncture, I had been using one of the empty Stans 2oz bottles cleaned and refilled with Revo as a contingency option. As it happened, my puncture occurred close enough to home that I just rode to my door and installed straight from the Revo 240ml bottle.

For what it's worth, I know of a few guys who are running Revo in lieu of Stans for tubeless MTB applications, and they have had great success with it.

-Tim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Thats excellent information, thank you :D
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

then injected 60ml through the valve with the core removed.

That's still an awful lot of liquid latex considering you could fix most small punctures with about a third of that.
All this stuff is not going to magically disappear and will amass at the point where the wheel/tyre imbalance is greatest though.

Significantly, they said the latex in the sealant (it has *does* contain latex/synthetic latex, but not ammonia) won't conjoin the opposing walls of your latex tube if the tire deflates over time and the tube walls collapse onto each other. That's kinda important.

Vey important indeed as I've lost at least a few tubs because of that as will have numerous others. So this new synthetic latex formula knows what to stick to and what not?

Either way, good to see they at least recognized the problem. One some of us have been warning against for at least half a decade...
I still have one Veloflex Carbon in the cellar with a replaced inner tube because of that and another where I still need to figure out a way to separate the inner tube from the casing somehow.
Yep, liquid latex is a damn good glue..... And a sure way to ruin the best tubular when used pre-emptively....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Dammit

by Dammit

Conti Sprinter Gator, Revo sealant- must have got a puncture at some point on my 10 mile commute this morning but noticed no pressure drop, tyre still feels like it has 100 PSI in it:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Is there now some longer term experience with this product?

If used in a preventative manner on a Continental Competition tubular tire, how many ml should be needed? Does using this in a preventative manner on Conti Competition degrade the tire performance or ride quality (yes, we all know fdegrove hates the ride of Conti Competition even without sealant) vs. not using it? How long does it provide protection, and is there a problem if the tire is deflated at some point after use (Continental claims not)?

Thanks.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

that gatorskin is cut up nicely! must be some rough roads with you Dammit.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

Hi,

After a full season on 25mm Gatorskins secured with preemptive application of Conti Revo, here are my conclusions:

1.) The product lasts at least as long as Conti claims. After about eight months, the sealant in my front tire is still audibly present. With the exception of a few crazy tire traumas related below, the effect of running Revo in Gatorskins was akin to the benefits cited by fans of road tubeless; months between punctures, and self-sealing tires. For the most part, I wasn't aware of most center tread punctures until I inspected the tires post-ride and found the telltale gumdrops.

2.) The sealant in the rear proved very adept at sealing centerline tread punctures caused by intrusion of road detritus. On one occasion, I pinch flatted the rear while experimenting with stupidly low pressures. In this case, I found that the Revo did not sufficiently coat the entire volume of the tube (top and bottom), so Caffelatex was more effective at sealing the pinch punctures. To Revo's credit, it is compatible with Caffelatex, and both can be present in the same tube without causing the latex/synthetic solid mass that would form if you added Stan's to either. Caffelatex foams in the tube and does a better job of sealing sidewall punctures and inner-diameter tube punctures.

3.) On one occasion, I used the Revo to seal a q-tube in a clincher tire. Q-tubes have removable valve stems, and I kept a small bottle (re-purposed Stan's 2oz) of Revo with me for just this eventuality. About 15-25ml sealed the tube, and it took only about five minutes to take the wheel from flat to rideable at 6 bar.

4.) My rear Gatorskin perished after taking a nail through one side and out the other. It would have gone through the rim on a carbon wheelset, but the Nemesis deflected the point out the opposite sidewall of the tire. Needless to say, I didn't attempt to ride this, and I called a friend for an impromptu evac. However... after I removed the nail at home, the sealant somehow plugged two 3mm+ gashes, and the tire held air the next morning. Still, I canned it, because I didn't want to ride the zombie Gatorskin with huge gashes in the tire carcass and the (sealed) tube poking out of both sidewalls.

5.) I put some Revo in a lost-cause latex tube to see if it would congeal and bind the latex, and it did- after four months sitting on a rack. In practice, I have not experienced a single case of Revo binding a tube, and I've had a few Revo-filled tubulars and clincher inner tubes sit for weeks at a time without any ill effects in this respect.

6.) Finally, for the 25mm Gatorskins, I've found that 30ml works just fine.

Feel free to ask if I've neglected to address any aspect of Revo that may interest you. I have yet to try it on MTB tubeless, for example.

-Tim

bazmac

by bazmac

Hi, I use it and think its awesome, for me it works, I have a set of gatorskins 22mm at about 95 psi and have had no issues in 8 months.

Cheers
Baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ste_S

by Ste_S

Hi folks, just bought a 240ml bottle of Revo and would like a couple of pointers

1. What do use to take Revo (or any other sealant) with you in your jersey pocket ? I don't have any smaller bottles from Stans etc
2. How long does Revo last in the bottle once it's been opened ? I've heard Tufo Extreme starts to solidify over time once opened, does Revo suffer from this also ?

Thanks !

gkski

by gkski

Haven't seen any updates to this thread.

I just started putting 40Ml of Revo into my Sprinter 25s as well as a couple of clincher 25c wheelsets. For the most part, I am focusing on the rear tires as that has usually been the problem tire. I may change my mind and inject into the front Conti as well. I will be interested to see how well it works in the Continental butyl tubes inside the clinchers.

I found it easier to use an Oral Syringe (20Ml) to inject the Revo at 90 degrees and that seems to work well. One concern I have is that the small opening of the syringe tip inserted in the empty valve stem may not be allowing greater mass pieces of the Revo from going into the tire. However, when I pour the Revo into a cup to take up by the syringe, I don't see anything but a foamy consistency, so I don't know it they are using larger "chunks" of material to do the job. Hope I am making sense.

Interested to hear more of people's experience, how long Revo lasts in the tires and on the shelf. Also opinions on the right amount to use. Above one poster used 60Ml while another used 30Ml. The 240Ml bottle seems to be a convenient size.

kevinw

by kevinw

I thought the revo sealant was useless to be honest - didnt have a great experience at all - just didnt seem to plug any leaks. I use orange seal now.

Only other sealant that I've used and rate highly is the Mavic stuff and I think thats made by Joe's no-flats?

gkski

by gkski

One thing I have noticed is that I cannot shake or spin the wheel and hear the sealant, even with 40Ml injected. Could it be that the Revo foams more than other sealants?

gkski

by gkski

Where did all the Continental Revo Sealant users go? What are they doing now?

gkski

by gkski

o.k. Kevin did not like it. Where did the rest of you using Revo go?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com