Spooky HavocStaff

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BikeArmsRace

by BikeArmsRace

After a year, it's finally built. The Spooky HavocStaff.

I actually waited until the right time, which was now. I recently stripped down my S Works Venge Project Black to convert to Dura Ace 11 spd. While I wait for my Zipp 303 Firecrest to return from Zipp for the 11spd hub conversion, it was time to build the Spooky to ride in the meantime.

SRAM Red BLACK including brakes
Token chain watcher
Zipp Vuma Quad with Hawk PF30 Bottom bracket
Zipp 101 Beyond Black with Michelin Pro Race 3 Lite
Dura Ace PD-9000 pedals (old Speedplay X1s next)
Syncros stem with ti hardware
Giant Contact SLR handlebar
Hylix Carbon Seatpost 31.6mm (to be replaced with a carbon rail compatible post)
eBay seatclamp (9g)
Specialized Romin Evo Expert (soon to be a Romin Evo Pro)
Arundle Cages with ti hardware

15.5 lbs.

Although I have it in the obligatory large chainring/small cog for the picture, I did not slam the stem. This is my current fit, according to the BG Fit data.

Here is a picture of the BG Fit XY Tool as I was transfering the fit measurements from my Venge...
Last edited by BikeArmsRace on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Specialized BG Fit Technician
2012 Specialized S Works Venge Project Black Dura Ace 9000 - 14.875 lbs.
2012 Spooky HavocStaff SRAM Red - 15.5 lbs.
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Pro Race Ultegra 6800 - 16 lbs.
2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 - 24.5 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Very nice build. Some minor projects if you get bored would be to remove the logo from the seatpost. Also paint the RD and shift paddle in matching green.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

That is what I call a beautiful thing. That green reminds me of a Klien I used too dream for as a kid.

ergott

by ergott

A spooky with a +rise stem and spacers as well? Sacrebleu!

BikeArmsRace

by BikeArmsRace

NWSAlpine wrote:Very nice build. Some minor projects if you get bored would be to remove the logo from the seatpost. Also paint the RD and shift paddle in matching green.

I was looking at the Carbolift product to remove the seatpost logo, but it looked like too much work. This is considered the backup bike (but rides so much smoother than the Venge).

As this style seatpost does no support oval carbon rails, I ordered a new seatpost that has no logos and the ability of clamping taller rails. My Specialzed Romin Evo Pro just arrived, so ill be switching from ti rails to carbon.

As the Zipp Vuma Quad was never available in a PF30 configuration, I'm running a few spacers to take up the addition BB axle space. BB is actually a Hawk.
Specialized BG Fit Technician
2012 Specialized S Works Venge Project Black Dura Ace 9000 - 14.875 lbs.
2012 Spooky HavocStaff SRAM Red - 15.5 lbs.
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Pro Race Ultegra 6800 - 16 lbs.
2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 - 24.5 lbs.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Speaking as the former owner of a Skeletor, I can say without doubt it was the hardest riding frame I've ever been on. If you have good roads it's a nice frame. Anything else and it was brutal. Mine was sold on after a few months.

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ergott

by ergott

I find ride quality comments very varied about every bike, to the point I don't give them much credibility. For example, bikerjulio found his Skeletor a hard riding frame. I fount the opposite. I've done many centuries and up to 140 miles on that bike. Most of the longer rides were with Enve 6.7s or 8.9s with 23mm tires.

That doesn't make Bikerjulio's feedback any less credible than mine. It's just that ride quality is like saddle choice, too individual.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

He's got different fork, wheels, stem, bars, seatpost, seat, and frame than you. It's a totally different bike...

michel2

by michel2

Yett he sells the only part they had in common (;i like those spooky's, id love a alloy 29er when i break my superfly this would be my first choice (;
How do u like those 101 wheels ? Im looking r a new wheelset, im fairly heavy and ont want carbon, i like the idea behind the wheels, low profile aero rims, what are there strong point u say ?
Spooky is ftw isn't ?
Thanks, mick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

There's a perception that an aluminium bike will beat you up "because it's aluminium". It's just not true. The only reason aluminium went out of favour was because production for carbon became so much cheaper and more efficient, which drove the marketing machines to make us believe carbon is the only material worth riding.

I'm almost certain my next bike will be aluminium. There's so many good alu bikes to choose from now: Pegoretti, Gaulzetti, Spooky, Stoemper, Worx (new road bikes soon to be released), Cyfac and others - and that's before you've even touched on the mainstream stuff.