Foil Team with DA 9000 or Venge with Red

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brycerider

by brycerider

Currently looking to add another road bike to the stable alongside my sworks tarmac sl3 which I updated to new Sram red last year.

I can get a Foil with DA9000 for about $400 less than a Sworks Venge with new Red (but no wheels). I don't think the Foil wheel offering, some Syncros oem job would be too exciting.

Given the geometry and drivetrain is the same as the sl3 I'm leaning toward a Venge. But the foil is a bargain.

Thoughts? It would be used for flat, fast stuff and the Sl3 would be the hills bike.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Buy both, put the 9000 on the Venge and the Red on the Foil, sell the Foil.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

I'd go foil.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

They are similarly pedigreed and priced so, whichever one feels better when you ride it.

brycerider

by brycerider

silvercivic27 wrote:I'd go foil.

Why, may I ask?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

I have an Addict with DA and I love it. I wouldn't change anything about it. If it were actually aero though, that would be great. The foil fits that bill exactly. I also personally don't like the way SRAM shifts, or the double tap levers. I'm sure the venge is a great frame. Although my Addict isn't necessarily comfortable or aero, it's great in just about every other way. I have zero regrets buying it.

davidalone

by davidalone

I'd go foil because DA9000 is so awesome, and old sram red is going to be incompatible with all the new 11 speed stuff thats going o come out soon, so yo'll e facing a pretty big value hit there.

frame wise I don't think theres much difference. the foil is pretty much our team bike, ( although I dont ride one) , and I think both are very nice frames, the venge ( unless you go with a Mclaren) screams ' LOOK AT MEE!' while the foil ( esp the black ones are much more understated and aggressive 'let the legs do the talking'. so is personal preference I guess.

dvincere

by dvincere

The Foil is easily a better frame than the Venge. DA9000 is the best mechanical groupset out there. This isn't even a choice. It's like choosing between filet mignon and chuck roast.

brycerider

by brycerider

I think I will have to have a ride of them. I like riding SRAM Red and tend to think the hassle of one bike with 10spd and the other with 11spd will becoming annoying. Particularly as I have a set of Enve 45s that I would like to be able to swap between bikes. Also toying with the S5 VWD if I can get the price down a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N+1 It Never Stops

MrHeng

by MrHeng

Go with foil man!

NealH

by NealH

DA 9000 gives a big advantage to whatever its on.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

If you want an Earth shattering stiff ride that is absolutely brutal, get the Foil.

The only thing I've found to help is run my 303 FC tubies and a set of carbon bars to take the nasty sting out of the ride. You will feel every bump with that bike for sure.

Definitely test ride both if you can.

pawnii

by pawnii

If you race Crits get the Foil. It's as stiff and sharp as an axe...and nothing shifts as well as a DA crankset.
In fact it's so stiff I've been trying to soften the ride by using a 25mm rear tyre and adding 10mm of fat to my ass.

Any other kind of riding i'd look into a Venge because a Foil is as stiff and sharp as an axe.
i do miss how quick you can shift the Red's RD i have to admit.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

brycerider

by brycerider

Everywhere I read that the Foil is stiff as all get out. But does this mean its any better at power transfer or merely uncomfortable?

I'm a bit meh about DA9000 to be honest mostly because have 10 and 11 speed drivetrains to deal with would be annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
N+1 It Never Stops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

climberevan

by climberevan

pawnii wrote:If you race Crits get the Foil. It's as stiff and sharp as an axe...and nothing shifts as well as a DA crankset.
In fact it's so stiff I've been trying to soften the ride by using a 25mm rear tyre and adding 10mm of fat to my ass.

Any other kind of riding i'd look into a Venge because a Foil is as stiff and sharp as an axe.
i do miss how quick you can shift the Red's RD i have to admit.

I'm not sure how the front shifting matters in a crit...I've never done one where the small ring was even relevant...