Extralite Hypergrips- Can't stop them rotating!

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Hi all,

I have just bought some Extralite Hypergrips.

Plus, 12g including bar end plugs!

Negative (big, big negative!) the do not secure on either my MT Zoom Ultralite bars or FSA K-Force Nanolite. Extralite recommend gluing them on but this does not work (well fine for half a ride!). I have tried hairspray and this does not work either.

The grips slid on when new (i.e. no glue or hairspray lubing up the bars) so the internal diameter seems oversized. The second issue is that because they are so thin/ lack density they stretch very easily. Having applied them to the bars once they now slide on and off easier than ever yet Extralite claim they are reusable between bars.

I know light come with compromises but rotating grips just ain't practical. The reason I write this here is to see if other users have any tips or have had more positive experiences to know if I should ask for a replacement or straight refund. For the time being I will use 22g ebay foam grips which are much more secure...

Many thanks in advance, DanW :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emike

by emike

Two drops of super glue does the trick. :wink:

DanW

by DanW

Is superglue on a carbon fibre bar wise? I think I would prefer to return the grips if that is what it takes!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Liquid soap (not washing up liquid) leave it to dry and go gooey.....works on my lightweight foams (Avenir, same as pork rinds)
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DanW

by DanW

The ebay ones I am defaulting too are the same as Pork Rinds and I have no trouble with hairspray... just these Extralite which are causing me grief!

gifted child

by gifted child

Try white school glue - Elmer's glue. That's what i used with my pork rinds before. Im using KCNC EVA foam grips right now, and all i need was apply some alcohol ( as lubricant while installing and dries faster) and thats it, no need of any glues.

DanW

by DanW

As above for TheRookie's suggestion, the KCNC and Pork Rind/ Avenir grips are no trouble to secure.

The Extralite slip on and off very easily with no lube to get the on and hence rely heavily on the glue suggested by gifted child which did not hold up for me.

The larger internal diameter and ease of the material stetching on the Extralite seems like something of a design flaw or perhaps just bad set of grips.

Does anyone have specific experience with the Extralite Hypergrips?

xc71

by xc71

I've run the Extralite grips for years on both my bikes (Ritchey carbon & Schmolke TLO) with hair spray and they never move. I ride in alot of muddy/wet conditions as well as winter ride in the snow.
Clean the bars & the inside of the grips with alcohol, get a different brand of hair spray and coat the bar and the inside of the grip. Let sit for 24 hours and you should be good to go.

doccoraje

by doccoraje

I'm not really sure we are talking about the same grips, the ones I have are the Extralite Ultragrip, my guess is that the Hypergrips is a new model.
I've been using Ultragrips for a long time and after some wear they tend to get loose, but, not when they are fresh, plain alcohol keeps them in place, just ocasionally I use hairspray. Bars used, Maxm, Syntace and Schmolke TLO.

DanW

by DanW

The Hypergrip is indeed the new 12g (including plugs) model.

My suspicion is that they are too thin/ lack density to maintain shape well enough to stay secure.

seismic

by seismic

I second the hairspray. Works perfectly with foam grips.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

handler

by handler

Use a tiny amount of tubular glue. Easy to clean off the day you want to sell it.