YoeLeo China Carbon Clincher Rear Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boneman

by boneman

I received these rims in January, ordered direct from YoeLeo in Xiamen. Carbon clinchers, 23mm wide, front is 38mm deep and rear is 50mm deep, 20/24 drilling. Note that they are center drilled and use external nipples. Rim width measures 23mm outside and 14mm inside the clincher hooks. Finish is 3k matte. Cross section is more U than V in shape.

After they arrived I was in Tokyo for two weeks and then went to hike the Milford Track in New Zealand so just got around to building the rear over Chinese New Year.

Build used Tune MAG 170 that Santa brought, Pillar bladed spokes and brass nipples. Spoke tension DS of 110kgf and NDS, whatever was needed to center the wheel.

Cosmetically, the rim looks well built and well finished. Drillings look straight and inside finish, clincher hooks, brake surface and tube bed are all nicely done.

Actual build was straight forward. Took it out for 55km ride this AM and all is well. I used a pair of Swiss Stop Yellows I had lying around and they worked effectively in the dry. No pulsating either. Time will tell but for the price $330USD delivered for the pair, no complaints so far.
Attachments
IMG_7472 (Custom).JPG
IMG_7473 (Large).JPG
IMG_7475 (Large).JPG
IMG_7480 (Large).JPG
IMG_7476a (Medium).jpg
IMG_7481a (Medium).jpg
The facts, while interesting, are not relevant.......

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

815g rear, what was the front?
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boneman

by boneman

Have not built up the front as blue Tune hubs are on stock out in most places. Using the actual rim weight of 470gr, it should come in around 660gr.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Any update on these boys?

boneman

by boneman

I've got about 1,000km on the rear. Has stayed true and seems to be working well. No issues with stiffness, braking, etc. I did switch from a 22C Veloflex Master tire to a 25c Schwalbe Ultremo.

I just built the front although have not yet given it a ride. Should be fine as well.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

How do you find the braking to be? Any comparisons to other carbons you may have ridden?

I love the 12K weave these folks offer, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have gotten/reviewed them so I want to do my best research.

boneman

by boneman

The only comparison I have is to a pair of 45mm carbon clinchers made in Taiwan by Gigantex/Equinox.

The Gigantex have a dropped braking track and have adequate braking in the dry and are basically non-existent in anything more than a drizzle.

The Yoeleo have surprised me and I don't know if it's the finish or something else but they are decidedly better braking. The braking surface is not dropped like the Gigantex and other Asian carbon clinchers. The braking surface is also without any pulsating which is a minor but noticeable on the Gigantex. Also the thickness of the braking wall is thicker on the YoeLeo's. I have not ridden them yet in heavy rain which we get here in Singapore but in a few rides with drizzle or on/off conditions, they have performed well.

In short, braking is good and better than the Gigantex rims. This is for dry and wet conditions.

While the Gigantex are better finished and probably better made, I have been pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of the Yoeleo's.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Awesome, thanks for the info! That might be enough to tip me over the edge. Even better would be if I could find just the rims and do custom wheels.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I've been really happy with my rims from Yoeleo. I bought some 38mm, 23mm wide tubulars and built them up 16/20 spokes (build can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=113&t=74564&p=944166#p944166 ). They have been light,stiff and brake surprisingly well with Reynolds blue pads. I had a set of older foam core Farsports rims and these brake much better. I don't get any pulsing under braking either. If I was considering another set of wheels I'd look at buying from Yoeleo again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boneman

by boneman

wookie was the guy who kindly responded to some pm's and gave me his view on the rims back in December which led to my purchase. Haha, since it's WW, I forgot to give the weights. 655 front and 815 for 1470 total.