Aero drop bars wrap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

Yes it is an over simplification, I'm not about to start sprouting equations.

My general point here is that at the average level of cycling the differences are so marginal it will be unnoticeable. We're not all Cancellara, (who interestingly under-specs his bike and still kicks arse).

Too many people use equipment as a replacement for strength and skill.

DMF

by DMF

I believe it is well within reach for most of the members on this forum board to exceed 50km/h in a solo break away on the flat. Which is where aero would actually count the most on a road bike...

For road bikes, aero is secondary all together as long as you're in a group... But you are not always hiding in a group, are you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

veganeric

by veganeric

If all you're worried about is traction on the tops, and don't need any padding, wrap them in hockey stick tape. Since it's thin, it will have a minimal impact on aerodynamics, and since it's a bit tacky, it'll keep your arms in place at least as well as bar tape.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Hey cheers Vegan, I'll try that. Any brands I should be looking for (not being big on hockey, and don't know anyone who is).

sigismond0

by sigismond0

I don't recall the specifics, but I remember some research suggesting that aerodynamic bars could save you up to a tenth of a second per hour over traditional round bars.

Things to worry about being aero before your bars:
Wheels
Frame
Brakes
Helmet
Body Position
Clothes
Shoes

Additionally, wrapping the tops with regular tape won't kill the aerodynamics any more than that hockey tape. Plus the hockey tape won't match the wrapping on your drops.

DMF

by DMF

Well potentially a strip of hockey tape in the right place _could_ be even more aero... Think of Ridley Noah F-Surface strips... R/C airplanes and glider airplanes commonly use air friction strips of all kinds on top of the wings... It's the same principle as dimpled surfaces.

This is miniscule ofcourse, but just saying that it might not do you any harm on the aerodynamics. And it would be positioned so that you could use the friction for your fore arms too...

Nascars are btw much, much faster with vinyl roofs than with glossy painted roofs. Same principle...

veganeric

by veganeric

^That's a good point. You could probably get away with just a strip or two on top for traction. The potential downside is that the edges may be prone to rolling if applied this way. It's been a long time since I've used it, and I can't remember how well it adheres. It's worth a shot though. A couple strips on top of the bars would use so little that you could get many, many applications out of a roll.

Sorry, I don't have any brand suggestions. Just search for "hockey friction tape".

DMF

by DMF

Otherwise skateboard tape will stick better, and have more friction. Hockey tape really doesn't stick unless you wrap it around itself. It's a very neat solution for aero bar extensions though, used it myself for that.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

And all of these "solutions" in response to imaginary scenarios. Everyone saying it will be slippery and uncomfortable - have you ridden such a setup or are you just correct anyway?

Also not sure how a TT bike is so terribly different as far as effectiveness of aerodynamic bars if the argument is a rider on a road bike is behind the bars negating any benefit. Are there people riding their bikes backwards in TT? It appears I've been doing it wrong...

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Ummm...yes? Every time I've put my elbows on unwrapped tops, I've been scared for my life. Maybe I'm just sweaty and have Teflon coated bars.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Well then... enlist a teammate to help wrap your arms to the bar

DMF

by DMF

Agreed that flat bar tops can be slippery, both for my current Vukasprints and earlier Ergonovas... I don't sweat much, but could have a bad case of the Teflon-skins...

DartanianX

by DartanianX

alexh wrote:My general point here is that at the average level of cycling the differences are so marginal it will be unnoticeable. We're not all Cancellara, (who interestingly under-specs his bike and still kicks arse).

Too many people use equipment as a replacement for strength and skill.

Well I think Cancellara goes after tiny little improvements in efficiency; think over sized jockey wheels on his rear mech

keith

by keith

Unwrapped of course... I have the same bars, they look very nice without the flat area taped.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com