SRAM Red 10sp, buy now or wait?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

i see that the 11 speed SRAM RED will be out later this year.. so should i buy the 10speed SRAM RED now or wait?

i found some groupset on ebay for $1600... but not sure if it's fake or real ones.

how much weight saving vs. price will i get from the 10speed vs. the 11speed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I am in the same boat as you.....I think waiting till they start showing up OEM will really drive the prices down for the 10 speed groups. I am going to hold out till next fall.

addictR1

by addictR1

yea... i still see some listing on ebay for higher than 1.6K for the SRAM RED. i was thinking the same.. when the 11 speed comes.. the 10 speed will drop in price. heck.. maybe even can pick up cheaper too.. but unless if the weight difference is a big significance.. i might buy now.

u know how much the 11 speed groupset weighs? how about the current 2013 red groupset weight?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

We'll find out the PR numbers on 11-speed weight on the 15th, when it's officially announced (real numbers, not for a while). I picked up new 2011 Red components at a swap meet in November. I'll probably hit the swap meet again for 2012 10-speed stuff, but the discounts probably won't be there yet (my guess is you'll have to wait at least a year for the new stuff to saturate the market, before the older stuff will start dropping in price).

Take a look online, and you'll find 7900 going for prices similar to 9000, and 9000 is now becoming readily available. Where I think you will find good bargains is on the 1st gen Red, since that'll now be two generations old, and anyone holding onto it will want to dump it, ASAP.

pastronef

by pastronef

sorry for highjacking the thread. but after your question, another question comes to my mind:

you are a fan of a cycling team among these: Sky, Radioshack, Blanco

would you buy now a Pinarello, or a Trek or a Giant, knowing your favourite team could change bikes at the end of 2013 or not even use those bikes anymore because it could close down?
ok ok, you buy a bike because you like and not because the pros have it blah blah etc....

do you think knowing the future of pro teams helps their bike sponsors to sell? A good deal could be a BMC, if I were a fan I would buy a frame, they will be in the pro peloton until 2016. Cannondale too.

don't get me wrong, bike sponsor are there to sell their products, and to benefit from anything the pro teams ride and publicizes

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I don't think the pro peloton has too much influence in what sells a lot of the time. In case you can't tell from my signature, I ride Trek. I've had Treks before they were in the Tour, when they built all their bikes in Wisconsin, before a certain Texan had probably started riding (definitely before he started competing).

My observation is that people buy what's in the store. It takes a special breed, like those on this board, to shop around for a particular bike. Most people go to the store, state a budget, and get what fits the budget. They may hear, "this bike is like what they rode in the Tour this year", and fall for the marketing. However, we know that the bikes used by UCI teams are mostly vaporware, and what isn't is incredibly expensive. That being said, I shop for what I know, what I like, and where I have been treated well.

That being said, regarding the OP, I wouldn't expect a discount on any SRAM Red 10-speed components for at least 18 months. By that time, you'll have gone through several chains on your 10-speed. Is 11-speed necessary? I don't think so, but SRAM is just following the leader(s) in going that route. I wish they wouldn't have, as it would have saved me some money when I get my new bike. Now I really have no reason to look into SRAM.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks guys... fingers got too itchy and clicked buy now.

now waiting for tracking number..... tick tock tick tock... 3 business days is a long long time..

djconnel

by djconnel

I think pro sponsorship is more a matter of "the stuff must work fairly well or the pros wouldn't use it", not necessarily that it works better than stuff the pros don't use, but it eliminates the uncertainty (generally).

It's particularly interesting when pros specifically choose something, like swapping Dura-Ace chains for SRAM in the old days, or using mechanical DuraAce instead of Di2.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Or put another way, a rider might not have won because (s)he used equipment X, but at least it wasn't so bad that it prevented him(her) from winning.

ave

by ave

>Dura-Ace chains for SRAM in the old days

That was the other way round.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com