Anyone in Spain near Javea fancy a ride 31stMar - 14th Apr

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

welkman

by welkman

As it says, I am out their with my bike for some training and fancy some company. I might try emailing the local bike shop to see if there are any club runs I could tag on to. Any other ideas?

I will be bloody glad to get out of the UK, raced in snow and 0 Degrees today.

Cheers

micky

by micky

You will find the locals usually in late afternoon, so not very convenient if you wanna enjoy the warmest condition (late morning/early afternoon).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

welkman

by welkman

Cheers. I need to sort out a couple of routes for training. One needs to be about 40 miles and one about 50-60 miles. Is there any roads to avoid when planning routes on bikeroute toaster? Im thinking of heading out to gata de gorgos-pedreguer-castlle de castelles - Calp - home along the coast?

Are those roads ok for cycling and not too busy?

Cheers

micky

by micky

The route you suggested is all fine until you will drop down to Calpe, cause then you will have to deal with a main road along the coast which is rather busy; I've done it plenty of times and it's common to find cyclists riding there but depends if you're fine with it or not.
And remember that Guardia Civil want you to ride inside the white line along the road (wherever possible, of course).

By the way, as I donno your actual fitness level, remember that those places (like the route you suggested) are quite hilly.

Routier

by Routier

I wouldn't worry about anywhere being busy as the main roads tend to have a wide section at the side with a white line to keep traffic away from the edge, and as the Spanish actually look after their roads there's never any debris around.

Also drivers there are very considerate and give cyclists lots of room.

You should look at making your way over to Parcent and then up the Col De Rates, it's a nice climb. Also if you head back to Javea from Calpe then don't miss out the climb from Benitachell to the summit with the aerials near Cumre Del Sol. You'll ove the riding over it's the perfect area for it.

welkman

by welkman

Routier wrote: Benitachell to the summit with the aerials near Cumre Del Sol
I have walked that the last couple of years!

micky wrote:By the way, as I donno your actual fitness level, remember that those places (like the route you suggested) are quite hilly.

Fitness is good at the moment, racing cat 3 in the uk, but we have very few hills locally! I am really looking forward to trying some proper climbing. Roads sound good; the roads here are mental on my daily commute.

Looks like 20 degrees out there !

Routier

by Routier

welkman wrote:
Routier wrote: Benitachell to the summit with the aerials near Cumre Del Sol
I have walked that the last couple of years!

I've worked out this route of about 62 miles and 4900 ft of climbing:

Javea - CV735 Jesus Pobre - 732 Pedreguer - 720 Parcent - 715 Callosa - 755 Altea la Vella - Calle Principal de la Sierra to avoid Altea - N332 Calpe (bit boring this but unavoidable) - coast road to Moraira - 737/740 back to Javea

40 miles and 2700 ft:

Javea - CV740 Teulada - 741/745 Benissa - 749 that loops round to Xalo - 748 Gata - 734 Javea

I'm sure the roads to the north west of Javea are just as good but I don't know that area at all.

welkman

by welkman

lol when I say walked, I mean with a rucksac and a wife and lunch and beer.... routes look good thanks!

Routier

by Routier

No problem. I'm glad about the walking bit!

basilic

by basilic

I've ridden a bit there.
- Another good loop is Javea, Pedreguer, Orba, Sagra, and just before Pego turn left onto CV712, very nice remote road to Vall d'Ebo, Margarida, and return to Pego by CV700.
- Alternatively, before Margarida, at Alcala turn on CV713 to Tollos/Facheca (very small road, a bit sketchy in places), then CV 720 back to the coast.
- after you have crossed coll de Rates from Parcent, turn right in Tarbena on CV 752 to Castell and loop back on CV 720 (Benigembla etc)
- another very nice but short loop from Xalo, on CV749, takes you to Benissa
Michelin makes a useful map called Costa Blanca, 1/130000 (no 123)
enjoy!

welkman

by welkman

Well I made it after a 24 epic drive, grabbed a few hours Kip and had my first ride. I loved it and the bike felt great! Just a quick 30 miles today, but the big miles start on monday.

Routier

by Routier

I wish I was there, it's 2C here today :(

welkman

by welkman

Well, back in the UK, 400+miles under my belt and a good Tan. Tried all the routes suggested and the Col de rates time trial several times. I am 250/700 now so next year I can see if shedding a few pounds helps with the time :) Thanks for all the input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com