Look Keo Max 2 vs Keo Blade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrnotwo

by mrnotwo

My keo max 2 wouldn't unclip when some sand got in... otherwise no issues so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nayr497

by nayr497

An older thread but a lot of good info here.

I have some of the 1st generation Keo Max 2s. Yup, mine don't "hang right" either. I guess the seal lubing/removal is to solve this issue, correct? What about bad bearings? My right pedal has slight play the results in a small click that I can feel through my cleat and in my foot every pedal rotation. Very annoying.

Has anyone been able to solve this issue? Never pulled Keos apart.

Also, if they can't be fixed I'm weighing Max 2s vs. Blades. I guess I have a negative view of the Max 2s because of the non-rotation and the bearing issue I'm having. Most of ya seem to really like the Blades and I've found them at nearly the same price (CroMo Blades, Carbon Max 2s). Can anyone steer me one direction or the other?

Blades - kind of want to give them a try. Maxs - a beat cheaper, a bit lighter.

Most seem to say the 12nm is fine. I set the tension near the high end on my Sprits and Max2s. Not much of a racer, not much of a power sprinter, and I'm about 65 kgs. I guess I'd go for the 16's unless they're really tough to get in/out but most folks seem to say the clip in is very nice and smooth on the Blades, no matter what version.

Any advice appreciated!
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

wingguy

by wingguy

nayr497 wrote:Blades - kind of want to give them a try. Maxs - a beat cheaper, a bit lighter.

You've got the weights wrong - all Blade models (even the aero) are lighter than either Keo 2 Max model. For tension go for the 16NM. I'm a little under 65kg and there's no issue with engagement but riding feel is super solid. I've done about 2500mi on them so far and they're still perfect, but then any pedal should be at that point.

My only hesitation about recommending Blades is that Time's carbon sprung Xpresso 12s look awesome too, but I honestly can't see a reason to ever ride a road pedal with a metal spring again.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi,

16Nm is just fine on the Ti blades... never had a problem with them so far (a bit over a year).

Pascal
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

nayr497

by nayr497

Thanks, wingguy and Pascal. Good to know!

I was leaning towards the 16nm and it seems as if that is the best route. I like a high tension.

Not positive the Ti is worth it over the CroMo for me considering the price difference. I guess I'm not a dedicated weenie:) But, I do like the sounds of the Blades and would like to give them a shot, so this info helps. Thank you.

mrd

by mrd

Ribble Cycles currently selling cro mo blades for £89.

nayr497

by nayr497

I've been using Keo 2 Max pedals with the grey cleats, tension on the pedals set near the top-end.

Have some 16 nM Blades coming my way. Any reason to switch away from the grey cleats? To try something new or to make a "better" pairing?

Thanks.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

No need, I also use the grey ones on the blades.
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

jpap

by jpap

I have the 16Nm carbon blades and they are a fantastic pedal, wide surface area, positive 'click' when engaging however for me unclipping puts too much pressure on my knee. I will be replacing the 16Nm blade with the 12Nm and see how that goes. Hopefully the tension will be ok as I really want to keep these pedals.

nayr497

by nayr497

Thanks, baron!

I have two rides in on the 16nM version and really, really like them. Definitely takes a good turn of the foot to get unclipped, but that's okay. Nice pedals, for sure. Like the clip-in, like the look, as I moved from white to black pedals, like the low profile.

Eager to get some more KMs on them, but so far so good.