Best chainring bolts?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CGT

by CGT

First of all, lets limit the discussion to aluminium or titanium bolts. I know that steel bolts are fit and forget, but hey, we are on the weight weenies forum after all. In addition, they must come in black and have a nice finish. I suspect the black requirement takes most of the titanium bolts out of consideration. Finally, they must be intended for 3-speed cranksets, in this case a THM Clavicula.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I got some pretty nice black Ti bolts for my brake calipers from R2. What's the problem with black Ti bolts?

CGT

by CGT

No problem, just that black ti bolts are not that common, especially when compared to aluminium ones. Additionally, is the added weight of ti worth it in this application?

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Aluminum is fine for chainring bolts, except maybe on a tandem. Alum is lighter by about 1/3 than Ti. Alum is easier to get in colors.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Aluminium, I use Truvitiv as they come with a 5mm/6mm Allen fitting for the male/female rather than the silly screwdriver slot, easy to get, fairly light (19g for a set of 4 for 2 rings) and fairly cheap.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

02GF74

by 02GF74

if you are in UK, check out the Onza aluminium chain ring bolts on ebay - they have Torx socket so more robust than hex socket.

nothing wrong with with using alloy bolts - top of the range Shimano XTR chainset have them.

DanW

by DanW

Alu for many many km. Mine came from Toronto Cycles as part of a very large order switching over to all Alu/ Ti bolts. Can't fault them when super reliable and 6g for 4 bolts (1x10)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

I have best luck with original Shimano alu. bolts(came with xtr-970 crankset) and Extralite Extrabolts. No problems whatsoever.

I cannot recomend KCNC or Tiso.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.