Aero drop bars wrap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Leonel

by Leonel

I'm getting the new Bontreager aero drop bars on my new Madone 7 but can't decide on what to do about the bar tape.
What would you do? wrap them like normal drop bars or leave the aero flat part bare?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

If you want to ride the "invisible TT bars" position, wrap it. I didn't on my similar bars, and it's way too slippery.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Bontrager makes a new non-slip tape that is very good. I use it on my SC, and have noticed better grip, even with sweaty palms.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

3T's Pro tape is super thin and nicely grippy. More of a suede finish with minimal padding. If you're using the flats for leaning, you absolutely need to wrap them with something grippy or you'll slip and slide all over the place. If you're on the drops and hoods most of the time and only use the tops for the occasional sit up and stretch, leave 'em naked and sexy.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I run Zipp Vukasprints currently with no wrap on the tops - I bought these bars because I spend a lot of time down on my forearms in the "invisible tt bars position" and I have only slipped when wearing arm warmers. Even then only once or twice. If you're putting a lot of weight forward that may be another issue - though putting too much weight forward is an issue all it's own!

Devon

by Devon

I'd wrap personally. Will be uncomfortable and look odd without.

It does depend however entirely on how you ride the bike, if you use the tops while climbing or fast descending, wrap them.

vwo05

by vwo05

I think you should wrap the drops and just a little past the hoods. Otherwise, what's the point of getting the bontrager aerodynamic bar when you lose your aero benefit from the bar tape. Plus, it'll look weird. If you are wanting flat tops as well as bar tape minus the aero benefit, I'd get the bontrager blade instead.

Devon

by Devon

Aerodynamic drag is directly proportional to frontal surface area. Flat top bars make no difference to aerodynamics, they are purely for comfort when using the tops.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Really? Shape doesn't matter at all?

Devon

by Devon

From my personal experience, and from my knowledge (from studying Mechanical & Automotive Engineering for the past 4 years) the differences you gain from it will be so marginal it will be unnoticeable. Just look at the pro bikes, even the Venge has standard tapered bars on.

Basic knowledge of aerodynamics tells us that a more aerodynamic shape will increase airflow over an object, thus resulting in laminar flow behind the shape. In the context of a rear wing on an F1 car, this will make a huge difference. Now think about it in bike terms. There is a rider sat just inches behind the bar, so any gains from the bar are made redundant when the airflow hits the rider.

Devon

by Devon

Excuse my terrible drawing skills, I have attempted to represent what I am trying to say in diagram form.

Yes, by all means, there is a benefit of aero bars, and they do make a (slight) difference, but at the end of the day, you're better off spending the money on saving weight, or focus on improving your riding position, which makes the largest aerodynamic difference.

To be completely crude/blunt, taking a trip to the toilet prior to riding will do more than a set of aero bars ever will.

NGMN

by NGMN

You'd think that was the case but aero base bars show big savings on TT bikes even with riders aboard.

Couldn't a person take a trip to the toilet and have aero drop bars?

The original poster said they are coming stock on his bike, so...

Devon

by Devon

NGMN wrote:You'd think that was the case but aero base bars show big savings on TT bikes even with riders aboard.

Couldn't a person take a trip to the toilet and have aero drop bars?

The original poster said they are coming stock on his bike, so...

If they're stock then keep them, but for a road bike I personally don't think you'd see much difference. TT bikes are a different case altogether.

DMF

by DMF

Really? I imagine a TT/Tri bike and a road bike are very similar in this aspect, do you care to explain the difference?

Also, about your earlier post...

alexh wrote:Aerodynamic drag is directly proportional to frontal surface area. Flat top bars make no difference to aerodynamics, they are purely for comfort when using the tops.

Wasn't this the common knowledge some 10-15 years ago, today we know (Yes, we KNOW!) this really isn't the whole truth. There are absolutely massive gains to be had with really tight fitting clothes, not riding with your jersey zipper open, putting on shoe covers and not mounting water bottles behind your seat.

Google/YouTube the mythbusters dimpled cars episode if you think frontal area is all that matters... :)

Ofcourse ONE of these changes on.it's own won't matter enough to be noticed, but put them all together and the cumulative effect is noticeable...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

Well, your reasoning seems to be, if there is a non aero shaped object behind the aero section, then its a wash either way but I suspect that is an over-simplification and it is certainly not supported by the data I've seen with rider on tri bikes with aero basebars.