Ehm.. why do my veloflex tyres say schwalbe inside?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

boolinwall wrote:I certainly notice a difference when riding a high thread count clincher with no vulcanizing. And no, I don't pretend I'm on tubulars.

+100

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

boolinwall wrote:I certainly notice a difference when riding a high thread count clincher with no vulcanizing. And no,, I don't pretend I'm on tubulars. I'm fully aware of how much better still a well made tubular is.
I'm sorry if you can't afford good tires, or your riding ability doesn't allow you to tell the difference between good and bad ones. Or more likely the case. You've never actually ridden good tires, but still feel you have a definitive opinion on them. That doesn't mean you're entitled to trash my opinion for no reason other than to justify your own choices.

All just crude supposition going on in your head I'm afraid

A marketing man's wet dream.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

DMF

by DMF

Calm down and get off your high horses for riding tubbies.

Is there a difference between vulcanized nylon clinchers and glued cotton casing clinchers, as far as ride characteristics go? Yes!

Are the best tubulars better than the best clincher, be it cotton or nylon? Yes!

Are the best clinchers, be it cotton or nylon, better than fairly poor/cheap tubulars? Yes!

Are you guys thinking that tubulars make you more worthy of calling yourselves cyclists mentally five years old? Yes!
Last edited by DMF on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

sawyer wrote:
boolinwall wrote:I certainly notice a difference when riding a high thread count clincher with no vulcanizing. And no,, I don't pretend I'm on tubulars. I'm fully aware of how much better still a well made tubular is.
I'm sorry if you can't afford good tires, or your riding ability doesn't allow you to tell the difference between good and bad ones. Or more likely the case. You've never actually ridden good tires, but still feel you have a definitive opinion on them. That doesn't mean you're entitled to trash my opinion for no reason other than to justify your own choices.

All just crude supposition going on in your head I'm afraid

A marketing man's wet dream.

Not quite.

What if you looked at it this way:

Regarding clinchers, the best casings need to be paired with a decent latex inner tube to perform. These best casings are often based on a tubular casing, i.e. true high TPI count, etc.etc.
The problem is the latex inner tube, it is introducing a set of compromises for a clincher which do not exist for a tubular tyre.

Those who want to run the best clinchers (in other words open tubulars ) should also use latex inner tubes. And there's the rub. Not that it can't be done but there definitely are restrictions.

We should count ourselves lucky to still have a glimpse of what a somewhat good tyre can be like anno 2013.
I'm sure there are ways to improve on the best tubulars out there, I can think of some myself.

That said, I'm pretty sure most of you have no idea how well such best tubular can perform anyway.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.