Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spliid

by spliid

Okay. Maybe that's the way to go. It just seems a bit strange if they include a headset which don't fits perfect. That's actually pretty irritating.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Make sure your crown race is seated the same amount all the way around the fork. Otherwise the bearing will be binding in one direction and loose in the other.

spliid

by spliid

Yes, will do.

It's pretty hard to disalign the lower bearing. It can nearly only happen if the frame is made wrong. I will get back when i have given it another try.

spliid

by spliid

Hello again!

I have now taken the crown race off and taken a picture. The downside is not totally flat as you see. Also a picture of the fork crown is attached.

What do you guys say?

eric

by eric

That's what mine looked like. I have the Neco headset.

I used a piece of PVC pipe of the right diameter (it fit neatly on the flat part of the crown race) and greased the fork.
I have read warnings about putting force on the underside of the fork crown, so I grabbed the fork legs
with the fork upside down and whacked the fork and pipe against the floor.

spliid

by spliid

Thx.
That's exactly what I did. I will try again. Maybe sand a bit?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Don´t sand. Put a little liquid soap + PVC pipe method.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

spliid

by spliid

Will do chief.

glepore

by glepore

Actually, it looks to me like he crown race was fully seated in the frst pic-here's mine-the gap may be just the was it is
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

spliid

by spliid

It looks like it's exactly the same.

ms6073

by ms6073

How about an image of the crown race with the bearing seated on top? My suspicion is that the bearing supplied is incorrect and does not have the correct inner/outer angles which does not allow it to fully seat against the inner race inside the headtube. Alternately, measure the stack height of the crown race and bearing and compare to the measurement inside the headtube, if the wrong bearing has been supplied, other than a lower profile headset bearing, no amount of tinkering is going to resolve it.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

glepore

by glepore

Aside from appearance, its not a problem, I've ridden the bike hard for 2 weeks now, and it rides/handles spectacularly.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

glepore

by glepore

If you're really concerned http://www.diymtb.com/displayItems.asp?cid=58 has the bearings in 8,7 and12(!)mm applications. If the stock bearing is 8, 7 will make it "look better" but I would want to be sure that the top of the crown doesn't rub on the lower headtube.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I have the same gap with my Chris King Nothreadset and Funda fork - the crown race is thick enough to create a gap, and the lower bearing cup doesn't extend low enough on the sides to cover it. But it's not wrong.

glepore

by glepore

anyone using a chain catcher with this frame? Which one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com