Recovery HR advice plz

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Svetty

by Svetty

After a 70+ mile ride at tempo effort with a few harder intervals aka hills I find that my resting HR remains 10 bpm above normal for up to 24 hrs. Does this mean I am overdoing it for optimal fitness improvement?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

You might not be rested from your previous workouts. Are you getting enough rest?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

metal

by metal

The day after a long or hard ride, my resting hr is always 10+ beats higher. I always follow it with a rest day or recovery ride day. And by the day after i'm good to go for another long or hard ride.

Doing it this way, you should get 3-4 hard rides a week, and for all but neo-pro's or pro's, this is enough to see good adaption with no threat of overtraining.

Just apply the equation, Stimulus + Recovery = Adaptation.

User Name

by User Name

Are you rehydrating properly?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

All good info above. HR is not dictator of performance or recovery it is only a responder. 10 beats is not a large variation as HR can fluctuate by more than that just by *thinking* about something. Check rest, recovery, fuel and hydratation are keyed in. If not, maybe you need to re-assess but if its chronic seek further advice.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG