Bont shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by 113245

Hm the ward spindles seem like a not-terrible idea but I'd rather not drop $60 and have to take apart
my pedals just yet.

by 113245

spud wrote:The stock holes on my Bonts were too far in and back for my set up, so I just offset drilled them. Work like a charm now (I'm not on Speedplay though)

How far were the new holes offset from the old ones?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I drilled the soles of my Bonts because the cleat holes were different left to right and I couldn't get the left shoe inboard as far as I wanted. I drilled new holes and slotted between the two to increase the range of adjustment and had no problems with them.

by 113245

Oh, interesting. I'm surprised the T nuts weren't sliding around crazily. Seems like they dont really grab on to much.
What's the best way to drill the sole? Just any old drill bit? I have about 6-8mm between shoe and crank arm but my
cleats are already pushed all the way over. I think I might offset drill by more than that amount and then make up
for the over-shift by moving the cleats into a more centered position. We'll see.

spud

by spud

I can't recall how much I offset the holes, but I used the grid to maintain a degree of consistency between left and right. Probably moved them about 1 cm, offset forward and outside. That allows me to narrow the Q, while still keeping some adjustment. As noted above, I did see some difference in the stock holes regarding ability to reduce Q left vs. right.

I used the appropriate size bit, removed the insole and drilled with steady pressure until I knew I was getting closet to breakthrough, then backed off pressure. T nuts came out by threading a bolt in, and tapping the bolt. The holes I drilled were ever so slightly smaller than the diameter of the T nut barrel, giving interference fit. They only seated fully when I torqued the bolt against the cleat.

headwind816

by headwind816

All,

I am a little perplexed by the Bont measuring. I wear a 45 Euro Specialized Pro (2007), and the Bont measuring suggests a 10/44 Euro in Wide. My measurements are 272/3mm length by 111/112 wide. Can someone chime in please.

Cheers.

by 113245

I don't exactly see why your specialized shoe size is relevant. Bont does their shoe sizing based on how long your foot is. According to you probably need a 44 wide, it would probably be hard to get away with a normal width shoe unless your width is focused around the toe area and the rest of your foot is relatively narrow.

http://www.bont.com/cycling/items/support/size-old.html

headwind816

by headwind816

@113245 - you are correct about my Specialized reference. I think it is because I have ridden them so long that it is engrained in my head that I need a 45 Euro. As for the width, I am going to double check that. I really appreciate your input. Cheers.

Anders

by Anders

Example of a molded shoe on the right versus a non-molded on the left. Yes I have a wide heel as I use a 44.5 on my normal left foot, my right is just 35mm shorter and that is why I use a size 42 on that one. It was awful fitting before the molding but now feel like custom made for my foot. Highly recommended if you have strange feet like me.

by 113245

holy -- that's amazing. What temp/duration did you bake for?

Anders

by Anders

Just the recommended 20 minutes at 70 degree celcius.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I'm in a Bont dilemma here:

1. purchase the Bont CTT one on Colorado Cyclist (am I missing out on anything on the Vaypors)
2. purchase a much newer technology (Vaypors) for $70 more than the CTT1 (counting in shipping to Canada)
3. Wait for the Riot to come out (god knows when. I Tweeted and wrote on the FB page and kept on saying end of March but it's now approaching mid April and they're nowhere to be found)

I'm leaning onto just getting the Vaypors now but I could save $70 with the CTT one...unless the Riots miraculously shows up on some online retailer.

I'm confused about my sizing too. I bought some Sidis before in a 42. At first they were narrow but overtime they were OK. I measured my foot and to my surprise I'm only 240mm+130mm but I've been using the 42s all along. I've been a US 8.5 all my life. My feet are pretty wide and I'm thinking the 42 on Bonts would be perfect. I also have an option to go 42 Wide but I'm not sure if it's TOO wide.

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

I'd buy the CTT one's, to see if Bont's are for you. The Vaypor's aren't all that much different, and if you like the CTT's you'll probably want another pair of Bont's, so you can invest the money you saved in a pair of Riot's when they come out.
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

by 113245

Agree. Also, I couldn't find a price for the CTT1s at colorado cyclist online, but I bought mine from Excel Sports. I ordered over the phone and successfully got a sizeable discount just for asking... so might be worth a shot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Sorry Excel I meant.