XC Racing shoes?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

seismic

by seismic

Hi All,

Looking for some XC racing shoes for MTB after my Mavic shoes died on me. What are currently "the best" (being fully aware that shoes are an individual matter) XC racing shoes in regards to being lightweight, well padded inside and of good overall quality?

I hope to get some good advise.

Thank you

seismic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

N.T

by N.T

What happened to your mavic shoes?
Fuelled by kofein

seismic

by seismic

N.T wrote:What happened to your mavic shoes?

The sole broke apart.

damond

by damond

i've been using the new Northwave extreme tech mtb and they've been proving to be a great choice! Good overall construction quality (not the best i've had but pretty good), amazing comfort and good sole stiffness!

I have other mtb shoes like S-works mtb or Mavic's spyder and apart from the crappy BOA system the specialized proved to be the best shoes i ever had! The only issue is the BOA which will eventually fail if you ride a lot in muddy or dirty terrain!

Anyway, the NW seems to be a really good way to go!

miceden

by miceden

Personally I like Diadora... the X-Trail 2 carbon is good.

drider85

by drider85

I rode Giro Code last year a liked them a lot. They held up well and had different arch supports. Right now I have the Sidi Drakos and they have a more comfortable upper and wire (BOA) system is nice for even tension.

devinci

by devinci

I now use sidi dragon 3

I broke 2 pairs of diadora in one season, both sole broke in half, one of the pair was the high end model

limba

by limba

Which Mavics did you break? The Fury is considered one the best. Shimano, Specialized, Sidi, Giro ... you really have to try them on for yourself. There is no best.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

What about the Shimano shoes? Fit great, fairly light, stiff sole.

I've also had NW shoes recently, they were rather good, but the fit wasn't quite as good with my skinny feet as the moldable Shimano shoes.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

damond wrote:I have other mtb shoes like S-works mtb or Mavic's spyder and apart from the crappy BOA system the specialized proved to be the best shoes i ever had! The only issue is the BOA which will eventually fail if you ride a lot in muddy or dirty terrain!

In what way did your BOAs fail? I've just replaced the innards of the BOAs on mine (after a year of MTB, road and 'cross), and they are as new.

It's really a matter of taste and fit. If the Mavics fit you well, the Specialized shoes might not. I tried a pair of Mavics, but they are for pointy feet, and mine are not, so I had to return them. My current Specialized shoes fit like a glove.

cerro

by cerro

Sidi Drako or Mavic Fury is my tip. Sidi for the look and Mavic because of it's a bit cheaper and a well made shoe

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

My last 2 pair of MTB shoes have been Sidi.

I'm very happy with them. My first pair were Sidi Eagle and my current are Sidi Dragon 2. I love them both.

I found Sidi can take a couple of rides to get a nice foot shape in the insole, but once you have it they're like slippers.
Lefty heaven

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I keep wanting to replace my S Works MTB shoes that are going on their 4th season, but they still look fine and fit well. I tried a friend's Giro Codes and they're very nice shoes.

emike

by emike

Lake MX236. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Hard to go wrong with Specialized S-works. Just realize they are pure racing shoes. Basically a road shoe with some tread on the bottom.