Sram 12/13 Red/Force Compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shinobiph

by shinobiph

I've only used shimano to date.

Can anyone educate me as to the compatibility of Sram components between 2012/2013 and/or force & red?

my main goal is to take some weight off the bike (while keeping the costs down).

looking at my options in terms of a mix of 2013 red & force -or- a mix of 2012 & 2013 red i think.

will prob. wind up keeping the existing q-rings and cnc brakes.

thanks in advance!

thprice

by thprice

Oficial SRAM statement here: http://issuu.com/sram/docs/sramred2012_en?mode=window (page 42)
WW feedback here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111380
Good review here: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/news/it-works-we-test-sram-red-backwards-compatibility_209270
More here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/sram-red-2012-2013-backward-comaptable-278410.html

My compatibility experience was moving from Force to Red 2012 over a 6 month period.
  • new cassette needed (wear and tear), replaced with XG-1090. Result was quieter and better shifting
  • 2 months later swapped out Force FD and crankset for Red 2012 FD and crankset. Result was better front shifting (using Force shifters)
  • 2 month swapped out Force RD for Red 2012 RD. No significant change (using Force shifters)
  • 2 months later swapped out Force shifters for Red 2012 shifters (could not resist a heavy discount)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigismond0

by sigismond0

The only thing I wouldn't do is use the new front shifter with a non-yaw front derailleur. You'll lose trim. You can use the yaw FD with the old trim shifters though.

Other than that, every single Sram road component is intercangeable.

Rick

by Rick

I have posted about this before.
basically, SRAM FORCE/RED are completely intercompatable, in spite of what the official position is.
You may get the advantages of the RED shifters or less reason to need to trim with the YAW shifter, but they all work together at least as well as they ever really initially worked. Not much difference even with the alleged advantages of the newer/higher end versions.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Rick wrote:I have posted about this before.
basically, SRAM FORCE/RED are completely intercompatable, in spite of what the official position is.
You may get the advantages of the RED shifters or less reason to need to trim with the YAW shifter, but they all work together at least as well as they ever really initially worked. Not much difference even with the alleged advantages of the newer/higher end versions.

If you use the current red shifter with a non-yaw derailleur, you will run into more chain rub problems than any correct match or using a trim shifter/yaw derailleur. It will pull the derailleur just fine, but it won't rotate it and you won't have any trim positions. Other than that, you are correct.

Hoodsanddrops

by Hoodsanddrops

I tried this and whilst the Yaw FD works with the 2012 levers it's not great. When i finally got my hands on the 2013 levers the difference was big. Much cleaner shifting and lighter to the touch.

Unfortunately the 2013 group works best with the whole group.

Hope this helps.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Anyone use a Force 22 FD with the 10 speed stuff?

79g vs 76g for the 2012 Red yaw FD (claimed), and half the price.

Chello

by Chello

Yaw 22 FD's are narrower than 10spd. You'll likely have trouble setting it up without chain rub on a 10 speed system.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Is that something you've tried, or just hearsay?

Seems illogical given that the chain width difference is only 0.33mm, and the 11-spd cassette is 1.85mm wider. So the 11-speed setup should be able to handle MORE misalignment than the 10-speed.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

No, the Force 22 FD will give you chain rub on a 10s setup. It will likely give you slightly worse shifting as well.

This is assuming you're using it with regular 10s rings. If you use the Force 22 FD with the Force 22 rings, you'll probably get away with little to no chain rub. Yaw rings are spaced ever so slightly wider than regular rings, which means shifting isn't 100% perfect when using a yaw FD on older rings. It's still functional, just not as good as a matched front set.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

^^ Hey, you bought my Cannondale Red crank. Small world. :P

I'll probably be running Praxis rings, so I guess I'll pony up for the Red 10-speed yaw. Thanks for the help.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Awesome! I'm planning on getting the 10s Yaw derailleur and the 10s Red rings to put on those cranks!

I originally had 10s Force cranks/deraiileur and tried to use Force 22 rings. Long story short, it didn't even remotely work and I got sad. On the plus side, the Force 22 rings are the ugliest, bluest grey ever so I got to sell them and never have to look at them again...

Right now, my goal is to put Yaw on the front, and then modify my front shifter so that it loses the trim position. Running Yaw with old shifters works fine, but makes that trim stop completely pointless.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Okay, one last question.

Can I use a 10-spd (Red 2013) Aero Glide rear derailleur on the 22 setup?

aaric

by aaric

It shifts...but the low limit trim screw ends up backed way out, which looks a bit goofy... I stuck my 11s rear wheel on briefly to check proof of concept, but didn't dial the adjustments all the way in. Might be able to cut down the low limit trim screw / order a different part.

I should play with it a bit more to get it make sure it works perfectly, but I'm short an 11s wheel on the bike with the 2013 aeroglide derailleur, and have events the next 3 weekends, leaving me short of time to experiment.

I can confirm that the shifting works well on the 10s wheel with the 16t cog removed from the pg-1070 using sram red 22 shifters, and the older aeroglide derailleur. (The 15-17 shift is a bit off at times, but that's to be expected)

I'll also state that I like the shape of the ergodynamic hoods over the previous generation, especially when out of the saddle climbing.

trychle

by trychle

Could anyone tell me if Sram Red shifters (10 speed, 2013) are compatible with Sram Force (non 22, 2012) derailleurs?

I read somewhere that there would be a problem with the new 'yaw' system.

Any help would be appreciated! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com