Sram Red Front Der. shifting issue?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

On my winter/rain bike I have Sram Red and I just replaced the chainrings so I believe that is not the issue. I have been getting non-consistant shifts in the front at times it will not want to go up into the larger chainring at all.(reason I got new rings) Then at other times it will shift perfect smooth as could be. I just replaced all of the cables so everything is pretty much new. Now this is the older red so could this be the issue that I have read about problems with shifting the front derailuer and maybe I should try to switch to a force front. I am going to take a look at the setup but I think it is spot on. Appreciate anyones input or experience.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Here's what I would do, if it were me: first, I would check are the cables. Make sure they are set to the proper tension, and are effectively working. Second, I make sure the chain isn't worn (probably isn't, but you never know). If the chain has more than 1,500 miles, I would junk it, and start over. Finally, a new FD, but only as a last resort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamoRider

by DamoRider

I had a similiar issue and it was with the tension on the cable. I just adjusted at the barrel adjuster and haven't had a problem since. My issue came with installing new cables as well because they got stretched more after installation. I'm not a bike mechanic so I had teh cables installed at my local shop which siad they tried to pre-stretch the cables but I'm using Alligator iLinks which I guess stretch more than standard metal cables????

sigismond0

by sigismond0

For your Red, the front derailleur's titanium cage is known to be pretty terrible. Sram will actually replace it with a steel cage one if you contact them and let them know that you have a mushy Ti front derailleur.

Hoodsanddrops

by Hoodsanddrops

Agree with sigismond0 & DamoRider
2012 Red FD is awful. Get it replaced with a force or as mentioned get SRAM to replace.

I find the setup on Red has to be adjusted in tiny increments for it to perform as was intended but when it does It's pretty sweet.

Having a barrel adjuster on your FD is a must and allows me to adjust super easily when cables have stretched.