The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

240 rear hub has a narrow flange spacing leading to a less than stiff wheel. Better use something else for this wheelset. A novatec F482 hub is the same weight nearly and give good bracing angles. BDOP has them in 32H drilling I think.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

I already have the 240 hubs sitting at home so I was wanting to put them to some use rather buying something else. Would a heavier duty spoke (say sapim race) help overcome this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KLabs

by KLabs

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:I already have the 240 hubs sitting at home so I was wanting to put them to some use rather buying something else. Would a heavier duty spoke (say sapim race) help overcome this?

Hi ALAN Carbon+, the Stans A340 Rim is only 22.6mm deep. If you don't mind a little more rim weight then the 23W BHS C472w (Kinlin XC279), with a 28mm rim depth (ERD 583mm), 32H 2xDS/NDS, or 3xDS 2xNDS, should be ok (upto about 90/100 kgs). These are a nice strong rim and higher DS spoke tension can be used.

Although if you are 95+kg (especially >100kgs) then Rim depths of 30mm or greater would be better with the 240 hub.

If you weigh <70kg, and produce low to medium power output, then the 32H A340 rim 2xDS/NDS, or 3xDS 2xNDS, should be ok.

thanks KL :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes race spokes will help alot ALAN carbon. Stans alpha rim has a weight limit of 90kg KLabs and that should be respected. Infact rider over 85kg should avoid the Alpha 340 and XR200 as they are not the stiffest rims on the market.

KLabs

by KLabs

bm0p700f wrote:... Stans alpha rim has a weight limit of 90kg KLabs and that should be respected. Infact rider over 85kg should avoid the Alpha 340 and XR200 as they are not the stiffest rims on the market.

Hi bm0p700f, I agree, absolutely ... (re-read my post) :)

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Many thanks Klabs and bm0p700f for your input, I think I might reconsider the rim selection. From a looks perspective I am liking the Ambrosio Excellight SSC.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi ALAN Carbon+, the Ambrosio Excellight SSC is only 18.5 mm deep (ERD 602mm), which is even worse than the Stans A340 Rim (ERD 594mm) ... so not a good choice.

For the same cost the Pacenti SL23 26.2mm deep rim (ERD 588mm) would be a better choice ... http://fairwheelbikes.com/pacenti-sl23-rim-p-5634.html

For less cost the BHS C472w (Kinlin XC279) 28mm deep rim (ERD 583mm) would be even better choice ... http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/162.htm

But if you want to use a shallow rim than you will need to choose an OCR or asymmetric rim, such as Velocity A23 OCR, etc.

kavitator

by kavitator

For 90kg - Kinlin Xr 300 with 28 rear spokes (3x cross) and 24 front will be good too - cheaper option

For more comfort as said wider rims (Pacenti, Kinlin279, H+Son Archetype...) - but cost more

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Wondering about spoke count for a 95kg rider on 38mm carbon rims in 23mm width -- 24/28 durable enough without being too harsh? What about for a 50mm rim? When would you consider 32 spokes on the rear with those rims?

hl219

by hl219

I'm planning on building a 24h Velocity A23 rear wheel with a BHS SL218 hub. Can anyone give me advice on the lacing pattern? I'm going to use Sapim Lasers all around, I was thinking either 1xDS/2xNDS or 2xDS/2xNDS. Also, would using the offset version of the A23 help/hinder even tension on the rear wheel with either lacing pattern?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

teleguy 24/28 would be fine I am sure given the stiffness of such rims. The deeper the rim the fewer spokes you need not more. Still 24/28 is not a bad spoke count for a 38mm or 50mm deep rim.

Hl219 The hub you plan to use has flange spacing that are similar to the Miche hubs I use alot of. The DS flange diamter is larger by 3mm and the NDS flange is alot smaller (8mm smaller), these difference make little difference to bracing angles over the Miche hubs. Therefore I would still build with this hub 2xDS/2xNDS although some would say use 1xDS heads in to improve stiffness. If stiffnes is a concern my prefered solution is use thicker spokes like Race DS or use more spokes. 1x lacing on a rear wheel to me is a fudge (it may work well though) to keep the spoke count and weight down while retaining some lateral stiffness and improving tension balance. If tension balnce is a concern then the off centre rim would be an option if its available in 24H drilling (not sure) and then 2xNDS/2xDS will be fine for tension balance. Personally I would not build a 24 spoke rear wheel with A23 rim for anyone as I do not think the rim is stiff enough except for very light <60kg riders.

hl219

by hl219

Thanks for your input. I only weigh about 62kg and being a woman I don't put so much power down either, so I figured 24h would be sufficient for the rear. If I went 2x both DS and NDS with the offset rim do you think my configuration would work, or should I change spoke count or use Sapim Race instead of Lazers or something?

eric

by eric

The SL218 has just a little more flange spacing, on the order of .5mm, on the DS than the SL211. Since lacing heads in on the SL211 has just enough clearance as it is (for Sram, 7900 has a little more clearance on its deralleur), I would not suggest lacing 1x heads in on the SL218.

KLabs

by KLabs

hl219 wrote:I'm planning on building a 24h Velocity A23 rear wheel with a BHS SL218 hub. Can anyone give me advice on the lacing pattern? I'm going to use Sapim Lasers all around, I was thinking either 1xDS/2xNDS or 2xDS/2xNDS. Also, would using the offset version of the A23 help/hinder even tension on the rear wheel with either lacing pattern?
... I only weigh about 62kg and being a woman I don't put so much power down either, so I figured 24h would be sufficient for the rear. If I went 2x both DS and NDS with the offset rim do you think my configuration would work, or should I change spoke count or use Sapim Race instead of Lazers or something?

Hi hl219, 24H 12-12 2xDS 2xNDS will give you the strongest, most durable, most responsive wheel but with you being very light (62kg) 2xDS 1xNDS (heads in) will be ok, also.

Also, you could use the BHS SL218 16-8 hub, 24H A23 rim, and a 3xDS 0xNDS(heads in) lacing which should produce a strong and very responsive wheel :)

Sapim Lazers or CXray are a good choices. CXray are better and easier to build with ...

bobonker

by bobonker

I apologize in advance if this has been covered. I've learned a ton from this thread!

The marketing literature for the 19W makes it sound as if it is substantially better than the 200. Ie, a little heavier, but a little wider, stronger, and eyelets for an easy build. However, I've read some posts about them having a low maximum tension rating and being fairly 'soft'.

I weigh 160 lbs and do a lot of hills/steady state riding but I like to periodically sprint. I'm not an overly powerful rider (250 watt FTP, 1200 watt sprint), but I'm planning on a 24/28 build on one of these 2 rims. I currently run HED Belgium C2 rims. Front (24 spoke, radial, WI H2 hub) and rear (24 spoke, 2x both sides, Powertap SL+ hub). This has been a super solid set of wheels, but I got a great deal on a crank-based power meter, so I'm going to sell them and will need something to replace them with and was hoping to build something that was lighter but equally strong.

Here's what I was planning.

Front:
Kinlin XR-200, XR-19W, or possibly an Alpha 340 if it's worth the extra cost
BHS SLF71W 24 hole hub
24 Sapim Laser spokes laced radially
24 Sapim brass nipples

Rear:
Kinlin XR-200, XR-19W, or possibly an Alpha 340 if it's worth the extra cost
Novatec 482SB-SL 28 hole hub (chosen over the BHS rear hubs due to better flange spacing/tension balance)
14 Sapim Laser spokes laced 2x NDS
14 Sapim Race spokes laced 2x DS (can I do 1x heads in with this hub?)
28 Sapim brass nipples

Thanks,
Bob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com