First Ride on the Alchemy ORC-UL Hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

We finally got the new Alchemy ORC UL 10 speed in this morning. Upon initially seeing them, I was impressed with the new design. The hubshell is a bit sleeker than the old ORC, and I think they have more of a classic hub shell design when compared to the angular look on the original hub. Jeremy was also kind enough to upgrade us to the ceramic bearing option. Now, I'm not a proponent of ceramics but I must say these are easily the smoothest bearings I've ever felt. I'm anxious to see how they hold up in the long run though.

I decided to go with a bit lower spoke count on these (20/24) simply because I wanted to see how rigid they rode. I'm right around 100kg, and usually someone of my weight should be on a 24/28 or 28/32 option. For the rims, I chose the H Plus Son Archetype. This is a relatively beefy hoop that is a versatile profile with a nice finish. The spokes are Sapim Cxrays laced radial up front and 2x both sides in on the rear. I figured red alloy nips would be appropriate for the build too seeing as they would match the hubs.

Upon initially jumping on the ORC, it really brought me back. This hub has a very similar characteristics to the old hub, yet it feels even more rigid. I have the original ORC in a 24/28 hole count with Kinlin XR300 rims, and this wheelset is by far stiffer than that one, even in the 20/24 hole count.

All in all, I think this is a big step up for Alchemy. I really didn't think that this new design would show any sort of real world increase in rigidity, seeing as the old ORC was already so stiff. However, I think I was wrong.

I only have one short hillclimb in on these wheels so far, but I will definitely report back after I log some real miles.

Wheelset Weight: 1475 grams

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

Lighter & stiffer! Initial report makes hub set decision for my upcoming wheel build that little bit simpler.
Thanks Zen :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Can't wait for my pair to arrive...:D !!!

LOuis :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Nice, Zen!

Did you get hub weights prior to the build? :D
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@prendrefeu- I forgot to weigh the ELF, but this ORC UL weighed in at exactly 190 grams. I'm interested to see how the flange spacing/freehub differences on the 11 speed hubs is going to effect the weight.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks!

Nice weight.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

Zen Cyclery wrote:I'm interested to see how the flange spacing/freehub differences on the 11 speed hubs is going to effect the weight.

Will we see your 11 Speed comments, weight, review here on WW?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@jcumpstay- I'm not sure I'm going to have the chance to ride the 11 speed option for a while. We will be building on them soon, within 2 weeks or so, and I will definitely post the weight difference, if any, and the build report.

ergott

by ergott

The 11 speed hub I weighed was 194g. That's right on with Jeremy's prediction a while back.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

How does the flange geometry differ between the 11 and the 10 speed versions? I assume its the same hubshell, spaced a little further (how much?) towards the NDS?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@dwaharvey- Here are the specs:

10 speed Shimano-
Center to Left Flange-37.1mm
Center to Right Flange-19.7mm

11 speed Shimano-
Center to Left Flange-38.8mm
Center to Right Flange-18mm

As you can see, the flanges on the 10 speed version are 1.7mm further towards the DS than the 11 speed options.

eric

by eric

18mm on the DS is still pretty good for 11sp.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Thanks Zen.

The 18mm DS flange distance vs 38.8mm NDS suggests this hub should build up pretty well as a Triplet I would think... NDS tension would be slightly lower than DS. Whereas with a normal build NDS tension would be less than 50% of DS. I guess you'd sacrifice some lateral stiffness with the Triplet. What tension can the HPlusSon and Pacenti rims take? Enough to get good NDS tension even at <50%?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

You really can't be sure what a rim will take until it has been in use for a few years... or less if there are failures before then. I do ~120kg... figure if the rim can't take that, it isn't my fault.

Instead of lacing triplet, put heavier spokes on the DS... all the advantages with none of the downsides. Pillar Megalites and Sapim CX-Supers are a couple options for the NDS, and DT Aero Comps can be used on the DS.
formerly rruff...

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Ron: But heavier DS spokes won't alter/improve the NDS tension... which is the main advantage of triplet lacing... no?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com