Clip-On aero Bars for TT ideas?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

So can't afford a TT bike so want to slap some clip-on aero bars on for stage races. I like the idea of the Visiontech minis but worried they might not get me a decent strecth out position. Also thinking of the Profile T2s. No bike shops have any bars in stock to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated as it is a bit of a stab in the dark for me.

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

Juanmoretime wrote:While I'm sure that we can all make great suggestion that work well for us the issue is will they work well for you?

I absolutely agree "what works for others may not work for me", but as my OP said I am looking merely for suggestions as I have no ability to do any test drives. So again opinions of other peoples trials in this area would be appreciated before I make a purchase.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

the Profile T2's are going to be too long unless you amputate part of them.

The Vision mini's are purpose built for what you are trying to do. You are not going to be able to get a nice stretched out TT position without moving your saddle, so the Vision mini's will do what they can: arms narrow yet comfortably in control of your sled. If you try to get too stretched out on your road bike position, you'll just lose power as your hips will be closed too much. You could get a second seatpost/saddle for the TT's to put you further forward to allow your hips to be more open which then gets you lower/longer....

Get the minis and don't stress about :D
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

profile t2+DL. they are shorter. personally, i'd get the t2+ and expect to cut some off. what if you got the DL versions but found out later you could really use just one more centimeter?
the profiles are much, much more adjustable than the visions. visions are nice if you know theyre gonna work for you, but otherwise id look elsewhere.

Rush

by Rush

I'm thinking about doing some long solo rides and am considering buying some clip-ons again (I used to have an old pair of these Scott aero bars back in the 1990's).

The Cinelli Spinaci would be perfect for me, although the problem is that they are only designed for a 26.0 mm bar width so depending on how your 31.8 mm bar transitions from the clamp..they may not fit on the upper section of your handlebar.

Another possibility would be the Deda Carbon Blast

3T made a clone of the Spinaci called the Tiramisu but I'm not sure what the clamp diameter was.

simonanks69

by simonanks69

why dont you just get a proper set of tt bars and a -17 stem?
CARPE DIEM
Colnago C59 Italia GLBK
Up coming custom steel cyclocross :D

journeymonk

by journeymonk

That Deda Carbon Blast looks really slick. 8)

Can anyone verify the weight? We all know Deda and Italian scales... :roll:

Looks like a nice Draft-Legal option.
"Truth is a pathless land." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

6.29 kg and dropping...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=89221

steve long

by steve long

giant connect sl s bends?

jahknob

by jahknob

Oval Concepts used to do a stem faceplate that doubled as the mount for a set of aero extensions. There were three possible set-ups - one with the aero extensions running under the existing handlebars, and two with the extensions over the bars (different armrest positions).

You would need to find the correct Oval stem to give you the best position, then get the faceplate, extensions, armrests and associated parts. I think you can see all the relevant pieces here:

http://www.glorycycles.com/ovalbars.html

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Hi
I was thinking of getting a TT bike, but haven't found the deal yet. Also, I'm starting to want to TTs and stage race. In the meantime I was thinking about doing a TT setup with clip on bars, TT saddle and probably seat post (to make the switch quicker).

First, any major difference between the position on a dedicated TT bike VS clip-ons ? aka time savings.

second, any TT clip ons that I should look at more then others ? How long does it take to install them ?

I'm thinking of going the clip on route for this season or at least when I'm fully decided about TT and or find a great deal.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

wheelzqc wrote:First, any major difference between the position on a dedicated TT bike VS clip-ons ? aka time savings.

Yes, there is a difference, but most of the aerodynamics of the bike are actually the rider. Get yourself into an aero position, and you will be faster, whether a road bike or a TT rig.

wheelzqc wrote:second, any TT clip ons that I should look at more then others ? How long does it take to install them ?

This tends to be a personal preference. Some riders prefer the "S" bend style, whereas others prefer the "L" style. I personally prefer the "S" bend, but since you are just buying a set of bars, this would be a perfect time to experiment. Don't get an expensive set, just get a set to experiment with, and save up money to buy the better bars when/if you do go for a TT bike.

wheelzqc wrote:I'm thinking of going the clip on route for this season or at least when I'm fully decided about TT and or find a great deal.

A good idea. I went full-bore into my TT bike, having never ridden one. It was a bit crazy, but I said "what the hell", and get a very good price. If you haven't found a good price, shop around, but definitely try TT's out. Personally, I don't like pack racing. There's something about crashing, or the risk of crashing, that isn't my style. TT's are just you versus the clock.

Hope this helps.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Thanks for the help !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

Depends wht you want to do.
I think my TT bike is about30-40 seconds quicker over 10 miles than my road bike with clip ones. A large part of the difference I'm sure come from having the shifters right on fingertips, sounds silly but you change gear a lot more when they are right there. Also, you will be lower on a TT bike, and that will be worth a few seconds.
My TT bike is fine for anything up to 12hr races, but at some point in a 24hr my back will start to hurt and I will swap to the road bike with the clip-ons, that change of position really helps. Also, and I don't know where you live, but here in flat Lincolnshire we get some huge winds. A TT bike is verysuceptable to cross winds, especially with a disc and a four spoke. The TT last Thursday had 40mph+ cross winds and a TT bike felt postively dangerous at times, a road bike with clip-ons would have been very welcome!
With regards to your second question, it is very much personal prefence, try some and see how you like it. Flat or curved up at the end for example. Don' spend a frtune if you are after a TT bike anyway, no points spending hundreds on something you be using for long, so probably avoid fancy carbon ones.