domane seat post crack... warranty-able?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shinobiph

by shinobiph

upgraded my frame yesterday and happy about that, but my shop found a crack in the integrated seat post of my trek domane.

the post has a crack maybe 4-inches or so vertically. also the part that is attached to the seat is somewhat warped at the top.

i've never used any other tool other than the torque wrench provided by trek when i bought the bike.

do you think it can be warrantied?

thanks in advance.

em3

by em3

Yikes, that looks more like an indentation from over torquing that has now grown in to a crack. Just curious, how much torque are you applying when setting your seat mast? Trek might balk and consider this user error or they might just be good guys and send u a new frame. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shinobiph

by shinobiph

personally, always 5Nm. i know because i've never used anything other than the preset [bontrager] torque wrench that came with the bike.

vwo05

by vwo05

I noticed the same thing on my Madone last week that I bought second hand. I haven't ridden it yet but wondered if it was just an indentation or a crack. Mine is less pronounced though. Please follow up on what you end up doing or what ends up happening with your warranty.

Doolop

by Doolop

I don't understand why this question is being asked here? Go down to your local trek dealer and ask them to warranty it.

Permon

by Permon

Doolop wrote:I don't understand why this question is being asked here? Go down to your local trek dealer and ask them to warranty it.

....and I do not understand your offense.
He just wanted to hear somebody elses opinion, that is what the forum is for....

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

@ shinobiph, not wanting to fan any flames here, but in the photo you attached of the ISP topper installed shows that the slot is cinched together perhaps too far. This can be a result of the manufacturer's tolerances between the frame and the topper not being optimal. (Is that not called tolerance stacking?) If the ISP topper was orignally on the high end of the diameter tolerance and the frame on the low end, then you would have to crank that topper pretty far to get it to stay put, resulting in the crack. (I would not be riding that if I were you.) 7 NM max torque should not be required to hold it all in place if the tolerances are correctly mated.

As others have stated though, we are guessing. Go talk to the local Trek shop and ask them for their advice.

If it cannot be warrantied, then there are many carbon repair shops out there who do good work and would have that Trek back on the road again soon for not too much money. (Consider getting a new topper though if that is possible) Not sure where you are located but the forum can assist with carbon repair contacts as needed.

Stoli.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Definitely take it to a Trek dealer. Also, take the torque wrench, just in case. It may be that the wrench was not properly calibrated, and what you think is 5nm is more. The best way for them to examine it is with the wrench, so it can be tested (especially if Trek denies the warranty).

Also, if they deny the warranty, be prepared with your state's Comptroller's (or Secretary of State) office number, and file a complaint (if in the US). That's a relatively new frame, and no reason for it to be cracking like that, unless you haven't given us the full info.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

Thanks for input all.

Update. Was informed by the shop that a new replacement frame will arrive in one month. Whew.

I think it had more to do with the fact that the shop owner had a good relationship with trek. Happy nonetheless.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's great to hear. It sucks that it happened, but I'm glad it worked out alright in the end.

shinobiph

by shinobiph

First time I've experienced the true value of buying something from an authorized dealer.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

+1

Call it insurance. You'd be surprised sometimes how far a good relationship can take you...

carbon2329

by carbon2329

:goodpost:

Very true. Not that you always have to get stuff at you LBS but when you do or when you have gotten plenty of stuff at the LBS, so you have a good relationship, they can (and are will) really help you out and "go to bat, for you".

Glad a new frame is on the way. (+1 for the LBS and Trek, for not giving you a hard time. Always nice to see good customer service and companies who back up their products)

em3

by em3

shinobiph wrote:personally, always 5Nm. i know because i've never used anything other than the preset [bontrager] torque wrench that came with the bike.

glad to hear you are getting a new frame....hope you don't let that Bontrager torque wrench go anywhere near your new frame. Apply only the needed torque to fix the mast on your ISP without going over the MAX torque rating for the bolt (the stamped value on the mast is MAX value for for the bolt, not the recommend torque for installing the seat mast). It may only need 4 Nm and a bit or carbon paste will result in needing less torque.

EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

The max torque on our seat masts is 7nM and the Bontrager preset torque wrench is 5nM so he is not over-torquing anything.