Shimming to use a standard seatpost clamp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Guys especially those who are tinkers and or mechanic. I have a new CAAD10, love the bike, but the clamp is shite! The bolt sheared, and then the clamp itself stripped, all using the handheld torque key from Bontrager that is set to the recommended torque. The clamp itself is an odd ball size, 30.9 I think I have seen it mentioned. Is there a way to shim the clamping area to a larger clamp so that I can buy a better aftermarket one, say a Thomson or something else stronger. I was racing yesterday and at the end of the race, the saddle had slipped down about 5mm, it was actually a good thing, I started feeling stronger due to that, but I dont want it to continue to move.

No CDale dealers around here have spares and God forbid they pull one off a floor bike and not have a customer wait four days to get one.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigismond0

by sigismond0

If it's a new CAAD10, why aren't you warrantying it? If your Cannondale dealer isn't willing to get you another one, send a complaint to Cdale. Cdale is VERY good about customer service, up to the point of replacing a years-out-of-warranty frame if it develops a problem. They'll give you a new clamp no problem and probably yell at your dealer for being idiots as well.

As for the seatpost clamp...what did you do to that poor thing? Just giving you a hard time. You must have just gotten unlucky and gotten a bad one, so long as you're sure your torque key isn't trash and you did actually just hamfist the poor thing. That's what warranties are for, and they'll probably give you a new one even if you did cause it yourself.

30.9 is a bit of an odd size for a clamp, so you'll want to double check that and measure it yourself/have it measured for you. There's nothing saying you can't shim your collar, it's just not the "right" way to od it.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I was adjusting a good bit, and used the torque T-handle from Bontrager that I had with my TREK. I do adjust alot until I get to the sweet spot, which I have finally found.

HUMP

KWalker

by KWalker

KCNC makes a 30.9
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I see 30.7 KCNC, Would that work?

My Cannondale Rep is supposed to be sending me one, but I need one now. That does not help with KCNC either, but at least this may be an option for having some just in case.

HUMP

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Call this shop they are excellent Cannondale dealers and will sell and send parts anywhere fast for your Cannondale. They are about a 2 hour drive from me and I had them sell me some Cannondale carbon spacers right off a floor bike. They will go the extra mile and send the clamp too you the same day. http://outspokenbikes.com/Out-SpokeN/Home.html

jacks1071

by jacks1071

Double clamps are the best for solving slippage issues. The clamp not only the frame but the post as well. You don't need excessive torque on them. If you can't find exactly the right size, get one a little big and use a coke can to make shims up.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

jacks1071 wrote:Double clamps are the best for solving slippage issues. The clamp not only the frame but the post as well. You don't need excessive torque on them. If you can't find exactly the right size, get one a little big and use a coke can to make shims up.

This would be a great option, I noticed this on the Giant bikes of a team this weekend, that they had double opposing clamps.

Where can I get these?

HUMP

KWalker

by KWalker

Yup, that KCNC will work. I got mine from Fairwheel.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

cerro

by cerro

Tune also have. Never had any problem with my Cannondale clamp. Maybe it's some problem with Bontrager and Cannondale ;)

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

cerro wrote:Tune also have. Never had any problem with my Cannondale clamp. Maybe it's some problem with Bontrager and Cannondale ;)

You may be right, mixing those two parts may have caused a rift that sheared the bolt!

HUMP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Double clamp looks like the antithesis of all things ww!