Crank Switch from Campy to Rotor+Shimano?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luften

by Luften

I'm riding a 2012 Campy Super Record Ti setup with a PowerTap G3 rear hub as a power meter. I've been itching to switch to a crank based power setup for a while, and I really like the look of the new Rotor POWER cranks and the additional functionality. I'm thinking to get rid of Campy and switch to the Rotor POWER with Praxis rings and all other components Dura Ace 9000. Three questions:

- Which setup will be stiffer?

- Which setup will be lighter overall? My current SR cranks weighed in at 583g (compact 50/34 Ti rings) plus 44g for the bearing cups. If I made the switch I would put Praxis rings onto the Rotor POWER either compact (50/34) or mid-compact (52/36). The mid-compact has been weighed on this forum at 761g, but I'm not sure how much the BB adapter will add? My frame is a BB30 (Felt F1 2012). I'd also save 115g from switching out the rear hub from the PowerTap G3 to a Chris King R45.

- Which rings will shift better between the Campy Ti and Praxis?

Bonus question: Is this a stupid idea?! :mrgreen:

Thanks!

chocy

by chocy

why not just switch out the crank and keep campy set up, and then get campy record hub? or campy wheel sets?
------------------------------------------------
My Colnago EPS http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83064&start=45

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luften

by Luften

I guess that is another option! I'm eyeing up the Enve 6.7 wheels though.

Still, same questions apply: Which will be stiffer, lighter, and shift better?

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luften

by Luften

The SRM is too expensive for me, I can't justify $4k+ when there are options at less than half the price. Also, I'm keen on having power balance, torque efficiency, etc, that the new Rotor will do (once the software catches up).

Are Campy rings forged or machined?