Injury - Advice Needed

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zakstory

by zakstory

Hey guys

Due to more time on my hands, I was able to ride more throughout the week than I usually do. I did about 400 miles over 2 weeks, with recovery days. At the end of the 2nd week, I was heading home from a small 25 mile ride when I started feeling sharp pain at the bottom of my hamstring on each pedal rev (right leg only).

I didn't ride for a week after that, the leg felt fine, bit tender but nothing too bad. After this week, I briefly hopped on the rollers to see how the leg was a, I could feel the whole leg didn't feel right and within 1 minute I stopped.

For the next 2 weeks I was in a lot of pain, couldn't walk without a slight limp, leg hurt 24/7. The pain is located in the inner thigh/groin/quads/calfs/hamstrings.

It has been 4 weeks since the initial problem arose, and it is still very bad, I tried going for a gentle walk the other day and when I got home the muscles were very painful. I've also tried doing light stretches but that seems to bring more pain afterwards.

I'm 19, fit, bike position is fine, and have never had this kind of problem before. Trying to see a physio about it soon, but am so frustrated not being able to function.

Anybody have any advice/ideas?

Thanks v.much

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

Bit of a hard call with given info. If I have this right it started as a nagging pain near your heel and now almost the entire leg hurts with any activity.
What is the nature of the pain, burning, pins and needles, dull ache. Does it hurt all the time or more in certain positions.
Does it hurt with all activities and improve with rest.
There is a long list of potential things it could be. To me the most worrisome thing particularly at your age is how it has spread and the fact that with a gentle walk it is now being triggered.
My differential diagnosis would be anywhere from something fairly benign like piriformis spasm irritating your sciatic nerve to something potentially very serious like an infra abdominal aneurysm or blockage effecting blood flow to the limb (though I don't really think this is whats happening).
I would really recommend going to see your doc as this is one I certainly wouldn't consider diagnosis over the web. PT is good when you know it is a musculoskeletal problem but I would nail down the diagnosis first.

eric

by eric

See a doctor.

mentok

by mentok

what's your back like? do you do other forms of training (weights) or heavy lifting in your day to day life?

i had a bulging disc compressing a nerve which initially presented as numbness and pins and needles in my left leg particularly when i was fatigued. a bit left field, but might warrant more investigation in that are if you have other symptoms related to nerve impingement.

zakstory

by zakstory

Thanks for the replies.

It is kind of a constant dull ache, but after the short walk I did the other day, I felt sharp pains in the muscles for 24 hours and then it wen't back to a dull ache.

My back is absolutely fine, never had any problems with that.

I'm seeing a doctor soon so hopefully can begin to sort this out!

drchull

by drchull

Let us know, I am curious what is going on.

Hope it is nothing serious.

zakstory

by zakstory

drchull wrote:Let us know, I am curious what is going on.

Hope it is nothing serious.

Went to see my GP yesterday, did a few movement tests on my knee and she is pretty sure it's just strains to the muscles. Have been referred to see a Physio, just hoping the waiting time isn't too long!

This long-ass recovery time is doing my head in though ;(

zakstory

by zakstory

Bit of an update:

I've been seeing a physio, who thought I had strained my calf/hamstring. However, what happened yesterday proved that wrong.

The pain in my leg turned to a numb/tingaling pain from my butt right down and into my foot. This pain then started moving around my body, it went from leg to leg (depending which one I stretched), then it went into my lower back and neck, and how I can feel it in my arms.

Will be seeing the physio again on Monday, but i'm thinking this is nerve related..

I also forgot to mention that I changed my stem length by 30mm about a week before the injury happened, and I think i was too stretched out, this is probly the cause im guessing! xD

mentok

by mentok

any further news on this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nurseflash

by nurseflash

You may need a complete neuro workup if this is traveling up to your neck and down into your arms. You could have stretched your spinal cord.