Powertap torque change

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultreia

by ultreia

Hello,

I have a failed powertap hub. It suppose to have a fail on the torque tube, some electronics I guess. So, someone knows how to dismantle this part ? I want to access to this part:

I guess that I need a non standard tool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

If you're definitely not interested in sending it back, you can try to come up with a tool that fits into the left side of the battery compartment, once the batteries are removed. I would assume the threads are left-hand threaded, or the torque would remove it for you.
Good luck.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I wouldn't dismantle it yourself - the inside needs to be in a vacuum. By opening it you will void the warranty and not be able to have it sent back in for repairs.

ultreia

by ultreia

Why needs to be in vacuum? to avoid water? or to measure well?

ultreia

by ultreia

I assume that the hub hasn't warranty and the vacuum I think is needed to avoid water so there wouldn't be a problem to repair. Repair a broken wire or a chip problem should be cheap and not very difficult.

The problem is going inside. I think to dismantle I need to unscrew in oppositte direction to pedaling direction. Could be ?

Ghost234

by Ghost234

The Vacuum is to allow it to get proper readings. I had a powertap that had the vacuum seal break and it read all over the place. I was going from 120w to 4000w within one pedal stroke. You don't need a vacuum seal to protect it from rainwater.

ultreia

by ultreia

Are you sure? I have no idea but it should be no vacuum because antenna is connected with internals and wire goes through a hole, so air could go into the hub.

And torque side seems not sealed.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I don't know how to pull the torque tube out, but I just sent my wheel back for torque tube replacement. It was out of warranty, so it is costing $350 to have a new torque tube installed, but it's basically the G3 system, so that is nice.

ultreia

by ultreia

Yes I know that in the US is 350$, about 220-250€ to repair... it is quite cheap but in spain the same repair costs about 500€!!!

What do you think about it ?

topflightpro

by topflightpro

500 - that's a lot.

I have not yet received the PT back yet, so I can't really comment on the quality of the replacement. I sent it out about a week ago, and I kind of expect it to take some time to get back to me because of the holidays.

I did consider the cost of the repair and the age of the spokes and rim before deciding to have it fixed instead of buying a new one. And the $350 proved to be a lot cheaper than going new.

ultreia

by ultreia

JEJE, I could open the powertap, so now I could verify connections inside ;)

Now I am looking for a Ant+ upgrader but I want a used one. I want to see inside also that ;)

Do you have one ?

0Wperkg

by 0Wperkg

Not bad, I opened my PT SL+ today. Had to build a special tool, like you. To all who wonder if the torque tube is left- or right-hand threaded - it's left-hand and you need a hammer. However, I didn't find any cable broken, but there was little water inside, what seems to have caused problems with the strain gages and the wrong torque readings. What did you find inside? Repaired?
I have an ANT+ updater for SL2.4, but it already had 2 successful updates. Do you need it (I'm in Germany)?

LittleBill

by LittleBill

I have a wired 24h PT that is dead and a wired 32h PT hub that works great. I need to get the 24h hub working for my race wheels, but Cycleops and Wheelbuilder no longer repair wired units. So, I would like to move my torque tube from one hub to the other. I see the tool in the above pic, but I am hopeful that one of the posters can share some insight. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com