Dura Ace 9000 Front Mech Metal Plate Problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hey

Anybody found that the braze on mount on their frame gets in the way of correctly positioning that little metal plate you need to put on the seat tube when installing the Dura Ace 9000 front mech?

I have a 2012 SuperSix Evo 54cm and the braze on mount is in the way, such that I had to mount the metal plate at an angle, so the grub screw was only touching right on the very edge, rather than right in the centre as it is intended. I was worried the metal plate would shoot off, so I haev secured it on with a black cable tie. It hardly notices, and is secure now, but it was a less than ideal install.

Anybody else had these issues, and if so, what did you do about it?

Cheers

Owen

GT56

by GT56

OwenJames wrote:Hey

Anybody found that the braze on mount on their frame gets in the way of correctly positioning that little metal plate you need to put on the seat tube when installing the Dura Ace 9000 front mech?

I have a 2012 SuperSix Evo 54cm and the braze on mount is in the way, such that I had to mount the metal plate at an angle, so the grub screw was only touching right on the very edge, rather than right in the centre as it is intended. I was worried the metal plate would shoot off, so I haev secured it on with a black cable tie. It hardly notices, and is secure now, but it was a less than ideal install.

Anybody else had these issues, and if so, what did you do about it?

Cheers

Owen

i have seen 2013 SS Evos (complete bikes) without the plate. seems to work

not sure what shimano's intent is with the plate, probably add rigidity in case of 'weak' fd mounts. the SS Evo mounts seem pretty sturdy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Right, OK yeah I think they are just trying to massively stiffen everything up. Seemed a bit of a weird idea to use something so cheap as a little stick on metal plate with such a mega bucks groupset. Interesting that you have seen some people not using the plate. The Evo mounts are pretty strong, yeah; they are pinned on both sides of the mounting slot, rather than just one side like a lot of frames I have seen.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The EVO fd mounts are designed so that the setscrew can rest right on it. The metal plate is for frames that would have the setscrew contact the tube, to distribute the pressure. You will he fine without it.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

thisisatest wrote:The EVO fd mounts are designed so that the setscrew can rest right on it. The metal plate is for frames that would have the setscrew contact the tube, to distribute the pressure. You will he fine without it.

Yeah, as long as your screw isn't going to scratch up your frame and isn't pressing straight onto carbon, you're good to go!

OwenJames

by OwenJames

The screw misses the mounts and touches the carbon tube. I have to use the metal plate.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

...yup. forgot that the 9000 fd setscrews are much further back than on 7970 and 6770. I have to look at one in the shop to remember exactly how I handled it.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Any info on this would be great thanks

gwilliams

by gwilliams

Will be using 9000 on an Evo in the future-any more info?

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Well, I have contacted Cannondale about this, and their customer service was terrible; a half fob-off, telling me to take it to the dealer (how would the dealer know more about a structural issue than the actual manufacturer?!?!). It was also badly formatted, and full of spelling mistakes.

I have kept the front mech on, and the fix I made by securing the metal plate with a cable tie has been 100% solid, even after loads of heavy shifting so I am not bothered.

Would have preferred Cannondale to have actually addressed the matter in a professional and thorough way though, rather than attempting to palm me off, despite the fact that I own pretty much the pinnacle of what their company offers in terms of road bikes.

gwilliams

by gwilliams

OwenJames wrote:Well, I have contacted Cannondale about this, and their customer service was terrible; a half fob-off, telling me to take it to the dealer (how would the dealer know more about a structural issue than the actual manufacturer?!?!). It was also badly formatted, and full of spelling mistakes.

I have kept the front mech on, and the fix I made by securing the metal plate with a cable tie has been 100% solid, even after loads of heavy shifting so I am not bothered.

Would have preferred Cannondale to have actually addressed the matter in a professional and thorough way though, rather than attempting to palm me off, despite the fact that I own pretty much the pinnacle of what their company offers in terms of road bikes.

Yes, you would have hoped for a helpfully reply seen as they are specing 9000 on a couple of the 2013 evo's :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com