The NEW Weight Weenie Kit Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Clothing manufacturers

Louis Garneau
51%
Pactimo
10%
Champion System
39%

Total votes: 79

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Right, so I finally found some time to actually put this thing together. I have been thinking the last few days about how I can best go about doing this and have narrowed it down to three clothing manufacturers, Pactimo, Louis Garneau, and Champion System. I'll leave it up to a poll to see which one we will go with.

First of all, the design will most likely be the same as last time. If someone has a strong objection I suggest you post a template of what you feel it should look like and after we have decided on the manufacturer we will decide on the design. For those of you who do object, believe me the design grows on you and you become attached to it. The colours work out very well and are not out of place on most bikes, because face it most of us are fashion weenies as well and want to look good while riding.

Now onto the important bit: the price.

Louis Garneau

Base Prices
Short Sleeve Jersey: $71.00 - $86.00
Long Sleeve Jersey:$73.50 - $91.00
Bibs: $75.00 - $92.50

Minimums per piece: 12

The price sheet is a pain in the ass to read so please take a look yourselves and judge on that. Unfortunately I cannot remember right now which jersey we went with last time. Now I have heard some complains about our previous jersey falling apart at the pockets, mine is starting to do that as well so I think we have to go for a different fabric. Also this one is so light that I get too cold on descents. Shorts were not my favorite and I would prefer something with a shorter inseam. The shorts felt very thick and heavy (not very weight weenie.)

Price breaks come with every piece above the minimum which is nice unlike some others which give price breaks at random points. Also the price breaks are actually worth it if we can get enough people.

Pactimo

Base Prices
Short Sleeve Jersey: $64.00 (low end [NO Invisible zipper]) $79.00 (mid level)
Long Sleeve Jersey: $87.00 (low end [NO Invisible zipper]) $94.00 (mid level)
Bibs: $69.00 (low end) or $89.00 (mid level)

Minimums per piece: 5

I have no experience but a few friends use these guys for their team clothing and say they love it and claim that even the lowest end chamois is good for a long day on the bike. The low minimums are great for us in case there is not as much interest when it comes to pay up.

The only problem is the next price break comes at 25 pieces and it really does not give us a big advantage. But once again the low minimums may play in our favour.

Champion System

Base Prices
Short Sleeve Jersey: $48-$108
Long Sleeve Jersey: $60
Bibs: $56-$100

Minimums: 10 total pieces

This is a company I've had plenty of experience with. My team back in Illinois used these and I was very happy with the jersey and the shorts. The prices are great and their breakdown is also interesting where the minimum is not on a per piece basis (i.e. 10 jerseys and 10 shorts meets the minimum) but on the total number of pieces we get (so 5 jerseys + 5 shorts is 10 pieces.) Because of this interesting minimum I'm giving a range of prices since people will technically be able to choose what they want.

NOTE: There are no additional price breaks with Champion System

Right, so you are all welcome to go to the manufacturers websites and look up for yourself to see what you like and the prices. I hope we can get this rolling quickly and get these by the middle or end of summer! Initial plan is to have the deposit collected and order started at the beginning of May but I'll judge based on interest when the time gets closer. Please take a look through the first post on the original thread

NOTE: I cannot figure out how to add a poll to the post...
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Vote for the Clothing Manufacturer

Louis Garneau: 1 votes

Pactimo: 0 votes

Champion System: 2 votes

To vote please just write who you would rather go with in your reply. If nothing else base it on what you are willing to pay.
Last edited by Szczuldo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

Kit looks great, I am up for it, would someone be able to ship in Europe?

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

I'll be handling all the shipping the same way I did last time: through USPS priority flat rate. Last time I had orders all over the world and everyone got their kits to my knowledge.

slyboots

by slyboots

I'm in.
Last jersey was good for hot days. :) Didn't use the bibs as they turned out to be much smalled that stated in manufacturers sizing chart.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Lets first vote on what company to go with. Since I cannot figure out how to post a poll (if it's even possible) I will need you all to put it into your replies and I will keep a running count on the second post for everyone to see.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Champion Systems is good stuff....my vote goes to them.

astranoc

by astranoc

I haven't tried any of them so my vote goes with the majority.

slyboots

by slyboots

Whichever has a racier (less baggy around waist) fit, since I can't check them personally.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

What did you think if the LG stuff from last time? I'm pretty sure any of the 3 could fit your requirements.

slyboots

by slyboots

Jersey fit was pretty good and I liked that fabric was so light + great graphics = definitely one of my favorite jerseys. :)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Champs Sys has two cuts.....the race cut is really nice.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

I agree that the Champ Sys race cut is pretty good. I think the jersey is a bit short though, putting the pockets higher on my back than I would like. Since I am organizing this I am going with the majority. I really want to try the Pactimo stuff but the price may make it limiting.

Next week I'll see about getting a mockup from the three companies to see how different the kits would look.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

If we wanted to be true to the WW spirit, we would do an all black kit with ghosted graphics. :sarcasm:

KvnP

by KvnP

I agree with him ^ 8)
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com