best hubs on a medium budget?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

whats your take?

rider is not very heavy ( sub 70kg). wants to build a mid section carbon race wheel.
shimano hubs? how about white industries?
or any of the offerings from bike hub store worth their salt? have heard good things about the Rotaz hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

DT Swiss 240s

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Hope or Soul. DT's are over priced IMHO
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

skiezo

by skiezo

I have 8k on a WI LTA rear and it is just as good today as when I bought it in 2004. Can't go wrong IMHO.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

White Industries T11s are hard to beat. They are easily a similar quality to Kings or other competitors that are almost double the price. They also happen to be super easy to service.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

I've been really pleased with the White Industries T11 hubs. And for the money, the BHS hubs are an outstanding bargain.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

eric

by eric

White hubs are good. The BHS hubs are pretty close to the same quality and are lighter.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

The new White Industries T11 are a very nice hub for the money...you really can't go wrong, many wheel builders will tell you this also.

RussellS

by RussellS

Not sure what medium budget is. But Shimano brand hubs are hard to beat by any of the after market companies. Dura Ace or Ultegra model.

Dominvs

by Dominvs

T11 Vs Mig70mag170?

All purpose tubular 50mm carbon profile wheel in my case

Thanks!

bobqzzi

by bobqzzi

Shimano for sure. They are the only ones mentioned that use the superior cup and cone bearings, and the rear hub is designed so the axle isn;t cantilevered way out beyond the outboard bearing

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Wow you guy's idea of budget is very different to mine. All of those hubs are expensive.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@Dominvs- The Mig 70/Mag 170 is a solid hubset, but I think the Whites are a much better bang for your buck. The Whites are far easier to service, with the one obvious downside to them being the added weight. The Mag 170 is much louder than the T11s too.

Keep in mind added weight at the hub is not nearly as noticeable as the rim. So the answer really depends on how much of a weight weenie you are.

JMT

by JMT

Since you say mid section Carbon rim I suppose cheap but heavy and durable hubs such as Shimano 105 are out due to not being produced for lower spoke counts.
If weight is important a lot of people have used the BHS super light hubs and been happy about them, I understand that you can switch the body from Shimano to Campa if that is an issue. I seem to recall that some of the light Novatec hubs have also been getting good reviews but I haven't tried them.
All of these hubs are below WI and Shimano Dura Ace in price.
I suspect most people here see Dura Ace, WI etc as mid price and Alchemy, CK etc as high price.
BTW will you be running a Campa, or a Shimano drivetrain? if Shimano will it be 10s or 11s? Is hub noise level important?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

davidalone wrote:shimano hubs? how about white industries?
or any of the offerings from bike hub store worth their salt? have heard good things about the Rotaz hubs.

I have never heard good things about Rotaz, but sometimes bad ones. BHS has become very popular.
Lots of good things about WI and Shimano. The Ultegra and 105s are a good "bang for the buck". (Admittedly I'm not really a weightweenie any more.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com