Should CAAD9 headset bearings sit flush?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Should the headset bearings on a CAAD 9 sit flush with the frame?

The upper bearing is sticking out of the frame and the crown race sits "up" despite being on the correct way round.
The fork looks like it is sitting wonky in the head tube but it is just the shadows.

The bearings are 45x36 italian.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Are you certain that you should be using an Italian headset? I thought campy used the Cane Creek standard for internal headsets. It also looks like it may just not be pressed in fully.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I read a bunch of other threads on CAAD9 headsets here and it seems that Italian is correct. The bearing don't go into the frame any further.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Did you do the headset install by hand or with a headset press?

Maximilian

by Maximilian

By hand, they just sit in easily. I can try to press them in further.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

You ought to take it to a bike shop with a bearing press--bearings need a moderate amount of force to be fully seated, and if done by hand they often end up not being perfectly parallel to each other. If you really don't want to have someone else do it you can loosen your stem's steerer clamp, add a 5mm spacer, and tighten down your top cap very slowly to pull it all together--the fork and cone spacer will act as your headset press.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

The lower bearings in my Caad 9 do not extend down like that. The top bearing may extend a little above the HT, but the cap is designed to cover that. That said, I don't think the upper bearing extends as much as yours.

And there is no need to press bearings into a Caad 9 frame.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Yeah, I just took it apart again. The bearings are in as far as they go. You can't press them in

So, wrong bearings?

sigismond0

by sigismond0

I'd say play it safe, swing by your local bike shop, and have them double check that it's the right headset for your frame, and that it's installed properly.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Did the original top cover have a seal around it's edge? If so did it make contact with the headtube?

sigismond0 wrote:You ought to take it to a bike shop with a bearing press--bearings need a moderate amount of force to be fully seated, and if done by hand they often end up not being perfectly parallel to each other.

Most integrated headset bearings just drop in. When the top cap is tightened it's enough to align everything.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

With the original top cap there was a gap of about 0.5mm-1mm between it and the head tube. I can't use a top cap now because I snagged a Slice Si fork but the steerer length means there's no space for a normal cover. I have ordered a SlamThatStem cover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Maximilian, may be worth having a look at this thread -
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71993