Disc Road bikes in 2013-14, will it happen in mass?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Amen to that !!!

Ritterview

by Ritterview

spytech wrote:...the canyon prototype has looked the best so far.

This pic makes me wonder if in the future, road bikes will be photographed on the non-drive side, so as to show off their disc brakes and rotors.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

I think the picture is done this way not only to show off the disc brakes, but the cable management. if they made this bike today, i would be all over it. all that would be missing is disc specific road clinchers, like the mercury/dash.

would like to see spooky do a disc road bike with enve road disc fork. that could be an interesting proposition.

spytech

by spytech

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/04/zip ... ke-wheels/

New Zipp disc 303's. seems all you get is disc compatible hubs, the rims are unchanged, so no benefit in reduction in rim weight.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

right, so many people here are saying that it will allow lighter rim construction. But then you add all that weight with the rotors and calipers not to mention the extra bolts and lengths of brake cable and housing that you have to use! Sure the rotor is close to the hub where the weight is not as critical as if it were on the rim but this is weight weenies where overall weight also counts. On mountain bikes these things feel great and look good as well. For road bikes, a lot will have to be done in the design department to make the calipers aerodynamic and look good for the masses to use.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

ichobi

by ichobi

^I agree. My problem with disc brake is that they don't look anywhere near as good as rim brake, personally. It adds too much to the roadie aesthetic. Too busy.

spytech

by spytech

I like how the fork and seat stays look without the rim brakes. looks clean. i come from riding motorcycles and like the way disc look. i would like to see cable actuation get popular, as i dont think hydro is needed, even though it would provide better feel/feedback with less finger effort and more power. hydro would probably allow smaller rotor size for the same amount of braking power.

the weight you can save on the rim, would be less than that gained by the disc calipers and rotors. though you are losing rotational weight on the edge of the wheel - that would effect performance of the bike more than the static weight gained by the caliper. i would think this would tip performance on the side of disc brakes.

remember guys this (disc) is fairly new to road/cycle cross bikes. we will see lighter and lighter parts come in the next year or two. i am optimistic that this is the way and the future of road bikes. there is always some resistance at first, then other will jump on the bandwagon; but the purist will always exist and i respect and understand that.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

I totally fail to see how disk brakes add anything to road bikes.

Did this descent this morning in the rain:
Kings Mtn Rd descent (be careful) - http://app.strava.com/segments/661013
4.1 miles, -7.1%, -1,529ft

Lots of straightaways to build up speed followed by sharp switch backs. No problems controlling my speed with Rival brakes and Hed Jet 4 wheels. Even though it was raining pretty good and everything was soaked.

/shrug
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

spytech

by spytech

jmilliron wrote:I totally fail to see how disk brakes add anything to road bikes.

Did this descent this morning in the rain:
Kings Mtn Rd descent (be careful) - http://app.strava.com/segments/661013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4.1 miles, -7.1%, -1,529ft

Lots of straightaways to build up speed followed by sharp switch backs. No problems controlling my speed with Rival brakes and Hed Jet 4 wheels. Even though it was raining pretty good and everything was soaked.

/shrug

i fail to see how you fail to see the benefits, but that is ok. it is not for everyone. i guess you dont ever have to upgrade your bike. reminds me of bill gates/IBM saying 640KB is enough memory for anyone and they would not make a 32bit OS but now we have 64bit os and a andriod phone has 2GB of memory... yeah, ok.

like i said, there is always resistance to change, good or bad. breaking and modulation are better on disc. if you use carbon clinchers you eliminate the worry of them overheating and coming apart (resin crystallization), you can make a carbon clincher lighter at the edge because you no longer have to over build for the braking done on the rim. i think this is good, no? but, thats why we have options. everyone doesnt have to like or want the same things, and not everyone has the same needs.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

I've had four or five bikes with hydro disc brakes. Just think it's going to cause more problems then it's worth on a road bike. For reasons already outlined in this thread.

But then I consider myself a competitive cyclist. I'm interested in aerodynamics and weight. Going fast. Not coming to a stop!

And as someone that's a total sucker for the bright shinny and buys a new bike every nine months, it's amusing to hear someone tell me I'm resistant to change. :beerchug:
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

morrisond

by morrisond

A good option for Light Disc Rims are ENVE 29XC Clincher Rims - they are approved for 23mm Clincher Use and are only 385 grams each - a definite weight savings over 45 Clinchers or 3.4's as there is no brake track.

Not that Aero but nice and wide - they should handle great.

Combine them with some Tune Mig/Mag and you have an easily sub 1,400 gram wheelset.

Irish

by Irish

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/14/roa ... they-work/

While I do think that discs will become de riguer in cycling I think the smaller discs used on solo's compined with hydro will not be as quick a fix as cable actuated in the short to medium term.

sawyer

by sawyer

I hope it happens en masse and indeed in mass, as then I'll gain a small dry weather advantage over all the adopters. In wet sportifs the tables turn, but I won't be doing those anyway :-)

One point that hasn't been raised is travel. I suspect the disc mechanism to be more vulnerable to damage in transit, and as it's inherently more complex, more difficult to fix while away/source parts from. Not good.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

eric

by eric

You can get aluminium rim brake rims that light... and much cheaper.

If 50mm disc brake carbon clincher rims came in at 330g then I'd be impressed with the benefits re: rim weight.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Irish wrote:http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/14/road-bike-disc-brakes-are-coming-but-will-they-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I do think that discs will become de riguer in cycling I think the smaller discs used on solo's compined with hydro will not be as quick a fix as cable actuated in the short to medium term.

As highlighted earlier in this very thread, this article is garbage for many reasons (the accident and the cause of it, not the industry commentary).

Road discs work, they are not more hassle, just different.

And in the wet they work as opposed to many rim brakes.

As spytech alluded to earlier, it's still early days in terms of road disc tech, we have already seen lighter and better calipers and now full hydraulic integration. Pad and disc materials will be next.

If you haven't yet done it, grab an opportunity to ride a ROAD disc bike, esp in the rain, and see the reality.

Don't suppose, or wonder and think negative, just try it. Then at least you have experience :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com