Zipp 303 CX 11 Speed Disc!

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Interesting! What I want to know is do the tubular version still have a brake track on them, or has that been removed as it is no longer required?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/zipp-303-disc-wheels-point-to-hydraulic-red-group-36926/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

The image you posted shows a tubular Zipp 303 FC disc wheel and it appears to have the brake track. Also, glancing the article from your link and I read this:
The Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc-brake wheelset comes in clincher and tubular options with an 11-speed hub. The 45mm Firecrest rims are the same as on the popular 303 Firecrest model.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So a missed opportunity by Zipp really. Could have saved on weight and truely built a good product, instead it's a new hub on an old rim.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I agree. Not that interesting IMO. Why not redesign the rim now that it doesn't need a braking surface?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Probably has something to do with the cost of new molds or dimples. At this price point though, seems to me that unless you really like Zipp wheels, Enve has the advantage seeing as how a set of Twenty9 XC tubulars built on 28-hole DT 240 disc hubs weighs in at ~1380.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"