Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

Dammit wrote:Anyone know which colour/size of Veloplug I need to order for the Farsports 50X25mm clincher rims?

I think red

sent from my galaxy SIII
Ninja

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

I've ordered some- lets see if you are correct!

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

The rim bed spoke holes are measured at 7.5mm, so the red is a tight fit if you're not using a tool to push it in.

hiro11

by hiro11

Thought I'd drop a brief comment on the Farsports FSC-50CA alloy braking wheels I have. I bought them with Novatec A291SB/F482SB hubs and CX-Rays. Matte 3K finish. Came in at 1,540g without skewers or rim tape. $592 shipped including Paypal fee. About 2 weeks from order placed to wheels arriving here in Chicago. Packaging was surprisingly nice with a very tough double-walled box and careful wrapping of the wheels. They even have a nicely printed little manual and some spare brake pads. Did not expect this from a Chinese wholesaler.

Finish quality is top notch on the wheels, brake track is smoothly machined with grooves and carbon layup has no visible flaws in cosmetic 3K layer. The Novatec hubs have a good reputation and seem to work fine, the front hub is extremely tiny. 3 pawl freehub setup, I disassembled them easily to ensure lube situation was good... I have the standard 20/24 drilling pattern, lacing is fairly tight but not as tight as I've seen on other wheels.

Ride is extremely smooth and compliant. The wheels are fairly stiff and brake rub is minimal while out of the saddle thrashing. The wheels have not gone out of true despite the absolutely trashed road conditions around here and some sporatic gravel riding. Crosswinds do noticably push them around. I can't sense the aero benefit, but the smooth ride makes these wheels worth it regardless. Braking performance is pretty great on these, better than most other alloy rims I've used.

Very happy with the wheels, especially at this price.

Dammit

by Dammit

My wheels arrived today:

tharmor

by tharmor

I noticed you went with disc hubs. What bike are you throwing them on?

Dammit

by Dammit

931 framed road bike, Di2, ENVE road disc fork with integrated mudguards.

It's my response to living in the UK- a true all season bike.

My estimate is ~8.5kg fully built, so I expect everyone on here will hate it!

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Update on my U-shapes.
As I mentioned earlier, 25mm tyre will take 27,1mm width on these rims. This will leave only few mm´s between tyre and fork crown. Little rocks rubbed fork, so I mounted 23mm tyre on front and now it is ok.
Rear end has plenty of clearance.
Frame is DengFu FM028.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

absmith

by absmith

The only open mold that I have found to be currently available is from focus-carbon(www.focus-carbon.com). They have 23mm wide tubulars and 24mm wide clinchers.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

tharmor wrote:Hongfu has updates their website to include the two new Aero wheels they will be offering. No other details at this time ::
HF-R40

Wonder, when FarSports will offer these? Maybe kylefoo can answer.

mentok

by mentok

sorry, where is that quote from? i can't seem to find it elsewhere in this thread - is it from velobuild?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

it is from this thread

tharmor

by tharmor

That image is from me. I grabbed a screen shot on HongFu's web site since the right click save as function would work right.

I've been in constant contact with Nancy from HongFu for the past month or so about these wheels from them. The lead times are still really long and that has been frustrating for me. Apparently the only aero wheel they have been advertising that they've actually seen in house to photograph has been the 56mm clincher, the pictures of which I've already posted in this thread.

As for FarSports, I'm not sure. I'd be happier to work with Kyle over @farsports since they deal with Sapim spokes and many more hub options. In fact, HongFu will not (as of right now) even sell you those rims as a wheelset. Right now they are only being sold as rimsets. I found that interesting to say the least. It didn't really make any sense.

Kyle - get on this. I would prefer to deal with FarSports!!

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Zigmeister wrote:Nancy sent me this: I've asked again for clarification as to what is exactly available.

"this is Nancy.

the price:

40mm tubular rim:$275

40mm clincher rim:$375

56mm tubular rim:$285

56mm clincher rim:$385

now only have clincher rim is producing.

tubular is testing."

I'm confused...so it seems no tubulars, just clinchers?

Then she replies back they have both sets in tubulars of 40-56mm....can't get a straight answer.

Edit, latest as another poster mentioned. Only 56mm clincher available now. No ETAOn tubulars in the various sizes.

Are those prices per rim or for the pair?
██

mentok

by mentok

so the rims in this thread (http://www.velobuild.com/wheels/4959-u- ... arbon-rims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are eventually going to be available from hongfu? i like the sound of these wider, bulged 40s, 56s, etc. i'll probably use the 56T for my race wheels for next summer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com