Final choice - Zipp 404, Campag Bullet or Mavic SLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bestrick

by Bestrick

Ok so narrowed it down to three wheel sets that I am looking at putting on the new whip.
Don't know anyone local who has a set, so any advice welcome on these clinchers.

Campagnola Bullet ultra 50
Zipp 404 Firecrest
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR

Cheers

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Can't speak for the Campy wheels, but if you can get the 404s at a reasonable price compared to the Cosmics, hop on the 404s without question. 404s are damn brilliant rims--Zipp more or less singlehandedly started the wide rim/toroidal aero profile thing--whereas the Cosmics are very run-of-the-mill aero carbon rims with nothing that really makes them stand out. Cosmics are certainly great, don't get me wrong, but 404s are about the best wheels you can get below the $5000 mark.
Last edited by sigismond0 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Like was said, from those three...get the Zipps and don't look back.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

given the high price range you're looking at you should consider enve 6.7 ses, i've broken two sets of zipps, the carbon is weak, and the hubs are junk, with enve you can pick the hubs, i went with the king r45, the campy and mavic wheels have better hubs than the zipps but the zipps will are more aero especially in a cross wind, this due to the wider profile...wider profiles do handle wind better in my experience, both enve and hed are two wheelsets i would ride before the zipps...the last thing i'll say about zipp is their customer service is terrible, they wouldn't warranty either wheelset i cracked, i'm not a big guy, 5'8" 150lbs...i fully admit i broke both racing and most likely hit something like a pothole in the road, however this shouldn't happen twice and not with a small guy like me, they made no effort to help me in anyway and i paid full retail,but i didn't realize it when it happened, it wasn't like i crashed and hit a curb, will never buy another product as long as i live

bwdftp

by bwdftp

ghostrider1tm wrote:given the high price range you're looking at you should consider enve 6.7 ses, i've broken two sets of zipps, the carbon is weak, and the hubs are junk, with enve you can pick the hubs, i went with the king r45, the campy and mavic wheels have better hubs than the zipps but the zipps will are more aero especially in a cross wind, this due to the wider profile...wider profiles do handle wind better in my experience, both enve and hed are two wheelsets i would ride before the zipps...the last thing i'll say about zipp is their customer service is terrible, they wouldn't warranty either wheelset i cracked, i'm not a big guy, 5'8" 150lbs...i fully admit i broke both racing and most likely hit something like a pothole in the road, however this shouldn't happen twice and not with a small guy like me, they made no effort to help me in anyway and i paid full retail,but i didn't realize it when it happened, it wasn't like i crashed and hit a curb, will never buy another product as long as i live

my experience with 404s is all positive. 16,000km on a set no dramas at all. ridden in all sorts of conditions on all sorts of roads and still as true as the day they came out of the box.

sawyer

by sawyer

Of those, the Firecrests.

More aero. Better handling.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

The campagnolo wheels are very good with excellent reliablility. I have had nothing but bad luck with Zipp wheels. They do not seem to hold up well. I noticed you do not list enve? I have had many pair of edge 45, enve 45 and the new enve SES 3.4. Never had anything fail and have proven to be nothing less than stellar! I think the zipps are popular based on the bling factor. The enves do not have the same bling factor but have proven to be a much better product.
Last edited by mnmasotto on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NealH

by NealH

The 404 FC are outstanding wheels. Earlier Zipps may have had hub issues but their product evolution has brought their current wheel line up to the top tier.

davidalone

by davidalone

whats the application for? and the difference in prices?

IMO retail might be similar on those, but street prices will be different.

are you gonna use em for TTs. crits, all round wheels, etc? how long do you expect to keep them?

waypastfast

by waypastfast

Just to throw another wheelset in there....what about the Reynolds 46's? They look like great wheels as well!

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

mnmasotto wrote: The enves do not have the same bling factor but have proven to be a much better product.

This!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bestrick

by Bestrick

I am not doing crits or any events other than great road rides.

I really wanted to buy myself a great bike with a one off paint job.

So I wanted a good set of wheels to go on the new bike.

Now bloody ENVE have been thrown in the mix.

What next?

Ceramic or steel bearings? haha