SRAM 11 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

grover wrote:What I know
11 speed is coming this year - '22' is the marketing, they believe shimano/campag groups can't be ridden in all 22 gears while their group can...hence true 22 speed
is it mechanical/hydro/electronic? you'll know soon enough.

This makes sense regarding the spacing on the two smaller cogs. The increased gap would improve the chain-line to the small ring(?).

I'm really hoping for a full hydro option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maximilian

by Maximilian

grover wrote:What I know: 11 speed is coming this year - '22' is the marketing, they believe shimano/campag groups can't be ridden in all 22 gears while their group can...hence true 22 speed
is it mechanical/hydro/electronic? you'll know soon enough.

I can ride my Chorus group in all 22 gears.

BmanX

by BmanX

True 22 might mean that you do not have any overlapping gears like you do with other systems currently available. Just because you have 22 gears does not mean that you have 22 different gear inches. Maybe that is their claim to fame now with the 22, that they will have 22 usable and difference gears that do not overlap.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

jtsoderman

by jtsoderman

I think if SRAM could set up their system in such a way that you wouldn't have to get all new wheels to run their 11, that would be a major win and they could probably grab some more market share that way. Not sure if that's possible, someone more tech savvy might be able to chime in.

BmanX

by BmanX

There are people already modifying Sram cassettes and converting them into 11 speed using 10 speed spacing. It can be done but you also know how the industry like to standardize everything so they are probably looking at going away with 130 rear spacing in favor of 135.

It just reminds me of them standardizing the handlebars and stems to 31.8 when 26 was more than fine for the average cylist putting out average power.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Epic-o

by Epic-o

BmanX wrote:True 22 might mean that you do not have any overlapping gears like you do with other systems currently available. Just because you have 22 gears does not mean that you have 22 different gear inches. Maybe that is their claim to fame now with the 22, that they will have 22 usable and difference gears that do not overlap.

A sequential hydraulic group would be a good improvement, not an easy task, though

VNTech

by VNTech

VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Roel W wrote:A few days ago I was reading my old cycling magazines and one issue (should be an early 90's edition) covered a new mech sytem that contained the index system in the rear mech in stead of the shifter. So cable stretch couldn't influence the performance. Why didn't anyone developed this further? To me it seems a good solution for quick shifting with high precision.

Because Positron was garbage.....

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Caley,

Any word on weights of the new stuff?

Edit: corrected spelling of Caley's name.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmanX

by BmanX

I want to know if their 11 speed cassette will work on my current wheels. That is all that I need to know.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

HammerTime2 wrote:
Cayley,

Any word on weights of the new stuff?

I haven't seen anything on weight, but this isn't the official announcement. Speculating here, I think they'd be pretty dumb to release anything that is even close to the weight of their current 10-speed offerings. Assuming they can carry over much of the existing Red line (this would be a good time to update the look of Force), they'll probably concentrate the weight savings around the cassette and chain (in terms of drivetrain weight), with a lesser degree of concentration on the derailleurs, if anything at all.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Ok, I'll eat my words about 11 speed being fake. But srsly the april fool's video looked downright amateur. Having said that, does anybody think that SRAM needs to just release a new damn color or something? SRAM red black, Sram Red, Sram red 22? Jesus. This is like apple every six months calling each new iteration just "ipad." Is this just a ploy to confuse the crap out of the used part market?

eric

by eric

BmanX wrote:I want to know if their 11 speed cassette will work on my current wheels. That is all that I need to know.

There's about a 99% chance that it's Shimano 11sp compatible. Using their own spec would be suicide.

So if your hubs have an 11sp freehub body available, the answer would be yes.

eric

by eric

Looking at the VN article (thanks Caley), I see new cranks. Do we really need new 11sp cranks and 11sp derailleurs?

It'd be cool if Sram offered 11sp cams for the Red 2012 levers. But of course they won't, prefering to make people buy as much stuff as possible.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

With the release of the 2012+ Red ("the YAW group") we had Caley, being marvelous as ever, do an extensive compatibility article that was super helpful to all of us. Especially WW who like to tune the hell out of things. :twisted:

I expect... rather hope... that Caley will do similar once Red "22" is made available to him and his team at VeloNews.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com