CERVELO R5ca vs Parlee Z5SL ???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Naturel

by Naturel

Hi everybody,

Just to let your opinions...

Not about the price but about the riding.

Thank You.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

If price is no issue it would have to be the US hand made Cervelo. Lighter, stiffer and all round much cooler.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

R5CA definitely. Or RCA ;)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

btompkins0112 wrote:Yes, RCA definitely

Why pre tell???

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have a 2012 Z5SL in size small. The frame weights 770 grams even - with all hardware. I cost me alot less than the R5CA. More importantly, the Parlee rides as well or better than anything else I have ridden or owned. How much experience do you guys have on a R5CA.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

The new Cervelo R5ca looks so amazing that I would definately go for that one. I have no experience riding any of these two bikes.

Make sure you take a good look at the geometry differences, if there are any!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

mnmasotto wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Yes, RCA definitely

Why pre tell???

I road the R5ca and it was spectacular.....my bank account is the only reason I don't own one. I can imagine the the Rca is just as good, maybe better.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

God never intended for bicycle tubes to be square shaped...
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I'd you can afford the R5ca then why not a Z zero.. In SL tubing
Then you get exactly what you want and in what every colour you want.. Plus still have some $$ for a banging wheelset

sedluk

by sedluk

I have owned both, I prefer the R5ca. The Parlee sizing did not fit me as well as the R5ca but that is very individual.

I have to say that I am surprised that Parlee does not do a better job of matching the Cervelo frame weights. You take a small shop on the East coast, they should be able to get very close if not match the weight of the hand built R5ca. I am not sure why they are not closer in weight. Seems like they are leaving money on the table. More competition the better for us consumers.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Parlee do get very close. And they deliver it in fully custom geometry and spec finish...

Dollar for dollar you're talking about the R5CA (or the RCA) versus the Zero or Z1, rather than the production Z5.

Back on topic, the CA is a bit stiffer than the z5 but not massively so, it (the CA) also a rougher ride and a little different handling. What the 90 grams is worth is up to you (the dif in size medium between the CA and Z5 in medium).

Dollar matching-ish
The Zero and 1 can be built to competitive stiffness with the CA and the Z1 is also a smoother ride with similar stiffness (but that's speculation until I have one built, so comments sit with the Zero and Z5's I own, versus the S5 owned, R5 used and R5CA used.

These are all very good bikes...

And all of these bikes are "hand made" by the way... But Hand made and custom build are not the same thing.

The comps are more Stock R5 versus Z5 and I would take the R for stiffness or the Z for all round ride quality.

Once the dollars start to go north of $6-7,000 no way in hell I hand someone that kind of cash in exchange for getting a frame with someone else's idea of fit, ride quality, handling and finish...

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

CharlesM wrote:Once the dollars start to go north of $6-7,000 no way in hell I hand someone that kind of cash in exchange for getting a frame with someone else's idea of fit, ride quality, handling and finish...

This :idea:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

sedluk wrote:I have owned both, I prefer the R5ca. The Parlee sizing did not fit me as well as the R5ca but that is very individual.

I have to say that I am surprised that Parlee does not do a better job of matching the Cervelo frame weights. You take a small shop on the East coast, they should be able to get very close if not match the weight of the hand built R5ca. I am not sure why they are not closer in weight. Seems like they are leaving money on the table. More competition the better for us consumers.

I don't think parlee has any interest in trying to out do Cervelo in any way..
Two differnt (sized ) company's doing two differnt things.
Parlee do high end custom with a touch of production frames. They are about ride quality and making quality frames. Cervelo is a volume producer who do a few high end hand mades.. Not really comparable.
I'm sure parlee could but that's not what the're about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com