Scale for weighing myself, not bike

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TSMonk

by TSMonk

I am looking to get a digital scale to weigh myself, and I can't help but be enticed by the ones that measure body fat. Does any one have any experience with these. I really dont want to spend more than $100 on it. I am looking at this one now:

http://www.scalesgalore.com/pbodyfat.htm#bc533

It is the Tanita BC-533 InnerScan Body Composition Monitor

It seems to do a lot for the money which is what worries me. Usually the all in one products are terrible at each thing that claim to do.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skyleth

by Skyleth

bodyfat readings from bathroom scales are rarely accurate but usually precise...

I did an 11 point skinfold test and had calculated my bodyfat to be around 7% but my home Tantia scale told me I was at 18%, but day after day, I was still around 18%, so it was precise but by no means accurate. It's a good way to guage change but don't nothing more. You can get a good digital scale for $50 or less from Target (or anywhere else) that will accomplish what you want, it might even be a Tantia.

Boonen

by Boonen

As said the bodyfat function will not be acurate for cyclists because they have above average muscles in their legs. The fat percentage gets measured by the scale by somehow sending electrical current through your legs and measuring how much comes back. More fat = more resistance, but so do more muscles. So even if the percentage on the scale varies, you still don't know if you got less fat or less muscles.

ras11

by ras11

If you do a search you'll find that this thread has come up before.

IMHO, I think a regular digital scale is fine. I've owned a Tinita for years, and it's not that helpful for the reasons already stated.
:-) Toys-R-Us