Is this for the next generation of Fibre Lyte chainrings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bura

by bura

I may have been over enthusiastic when I first saw this.
We have experienced CF coated metal bike components in the past.
But this is the other way round.
What about Fibre Lyte coating their CF chain ring teeth with CTE Nanovate?
Here:
http://www.integran.com/pages/low_cte_coatings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opinions?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

remrich

by remrich

Hey!

This is Rich from Integran Technologies. It's great that our approach to "armoring" CF parts caught your attention. We don't play it up on our website, but we do work with a number of bike companies on next generation carbon fiber bike components for two main reasons:
a) We have some crazy strong/hard/tough metals that we can plate onto carbon fiber parts
b) We have some great adhesion technologies for carbon fiber materials (which can be THE problem even if you have a great material to put on the carbon fiber).

Our material helps increase the impact, wear and fatigue performance of carbon composite bike components by helping to spread the load over the surface in damage events - think of a really lightweight metal bandaid. It doesn't hurt to have a metal with hardness of a tool steel on your part for wear either!!

A good example is the True Temper "Epic" golf shaft (this was our Nanovate metal on a carbon shaft for improved shot accuracy). Other things we do:
- Structural plating on plastic - we can make parts lighter, stronger and more durable than aluminum
- Structural plating on aluminum - one of the big golf OEMs is using our Nanovate on Al for their next putter body - Impact resistance is the main benefit over anodiziation, although there is also fatigue benefits

I'll post some bike components as they come available. If you are interested in getting your bike part manufacturer to look at us for their product/next generation part, have them contact Iain Brooks at crm@integran.com.

Hope that helps and good eye!

Rich Emrich
VP Business Development
Integran Technologies Inc
http://www.integran.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Estelja

by Estelja

The possibilities here are endless. How about a cassette machined out of PEEK thermoplastic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEEK) and then coated wth the Nanovate? Would probaly weigh in the 50-60 gram range.

remrich

by remrich

Sure!

We are doing Nanovate metals on PEEK for aeroengine components to displace aluminum parts in the air-stream. The Nanovate on PEEK parts can actually damage the original aluminum parts!! There is about a 4x increase in surface hardness and a 10x increase in impact resistance over the aluminum in the testing for that application.

bura

by bura

Welcome and thanks for the contribution Rich.

Beside the options within drivetrain parts I can imagine a full carbon rim where the brake surface is plated with Nanovate.
It seems that partial plating of any CF part is not a problem for your company.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

remrich

by remrich

Indeed, that would seem like a good application!

Like I said, encourage your favorite manufacturer to get in touch with us. We're working with many of them, but it's always great encouragement for them to hear that their customers are asking for this!

bura

by bura

I would like to add this file here:

http://integran.com/pdf/Ultra%20Lightwe ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

remrich

by remrich

Hey Guys,

Here is an update for anyone interested in Nanovate plated composite parts for enhanced toughness, durability etc. Integran and Cervelo annouced today Nanovate metal on composite parts for the Rca

http://hub.am/16uWgd8

DamoRider

by DamoRider

Some company really needs to jump on the CF cassette with this coating on the teeth. I would be all over a product like that :D

uraqt

by uraqt

What about a "kickstarter' project?

C

eric01

by eric01

Wouldn't it be cool if the idea for the Cervelo fork came from this weight weenie thread? ;)
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

Yes, would be cool.But unlikely as there are a few good CF engineers at Cervelo with good antennas.

I may be ueber suspicious but reviewing my thread title and the very quick contribution by Rich from Integran following the silence by fiber-lyte
we may expect some development from the UK in the close future. :wink:
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD